lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Predator 670, key start, what key switch do you use?

Hey all,
I have an EZGO, 1999 with a Predator 670 swapped in. I was using the original key for the predator, but the plastic on the back of the switch cracked...don't ask, I have no idea how. I went to reinstall it, and it wouldn't crank...after chasing for a while, figured it out to be the switch. I have a regular ignition switch for a lawn tractor, but it doesn't connect a ground when you turn it off, which is how I kill my engine. I need a ground at the coil and the old switch did that. Anyone sell these switches? What are ya'll using? How are you shutting your motor down when turning it off?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Predator 670, key start, what key switch do you use?

The last one i bought, currently on my cart, was purchased at Autozone. Its a universal for a Briggs. A standard key setup won't work, it has to be for a tractor. I have also used the John Deere switch, but the key seemed a bit bendy so I swapped. They usually come with a wiring schematic in the package. If not there is a few drawing on the forum.

Just make sure you don't accidentally hook your kill wire up to 12v. On the Briggs there is a cheap little diode wire that acts like a fuse and blows to protect the ignition system. Its a cheap fix, but you have to remove the tins to replace it, big pain. Not sure how the 670 is set up.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Briggs is coil on flywheel ignition, most clones are, that is technically a magneto type ignition due to it running off the magnet in the flywheel and making its own power. Those types usually ground the coil wire to turn it off, otherwise it continues to run. So right the key must ground at stop. Typically Briggs and older outboards do this, and well as many other lawn engines. The old kohler had a 12v coil like an old car and points, it was 12v powered, those have a normal automotive key that supplies 12v to run. The Briggs key only needs 12v for the starter circuit and accessories if the key has that. The newest lawn engines have an electronic coil, some have two wires you connect to run be sure to verify how it connects. They work the same but the improvement is they can advance the timing at higher rpm. In actuality they advance the magnet in the flywheel and the coil retards at low rpm, so they need a different flywheel to work. The new Briggs and UT2 honda (some clones use this like lifan some not yet like harbor freight) are this way. Note some UT2 clones have a 4K rpm rev limit in them but you can get a coil without it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Picked up a universal lawn tractor switch from Lowes...worked great.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!