lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Gifted old wood lathe, metal lathe and stick welder

My parents do the migratory thing between Ohio and Florida. They went to an estate sale and got me these. I don't know anything about them.

Never welded and for the time being I wont be, so I'm not too worried about finding information on it yet. It's a Chicago Electric Arc Welder 1400. Isn't that a "Hazard Fright" brand?

The wood lathe is quite old. Sticker on it says Supershop. It can be pivoted to vertical position(seems like a whole other level of danger to me). Assuming that would just be for storage purposes... Hoping to find an old manual on it. Been over two decades since I last did any wood lathe work and it was in shop class in junior high. Only class I got A++ in school. That was much more robust and bigger equipment.

The metal lathe has no manufacturer badging on it that I can see. Hoping to find out what brand it is so I can find a manual on it. I've never done any metal lathe work, so I will be doing research on it.

My goal for now is to find out information on these along with manuals. First thing will be to go through them and clean them up. Been sitting for quite some time. Anyone able to offer some help/advice? Thanks!

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Gifted old wood lathe, metal lathe and stick welder

The metal lathe could be a early south bend . Hard to tell from the pic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
LJHoffman77
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The metal lathe looks almost exactly like my dad's Craftsman lathe. Next time I'm over there I'll take a picture and see if there is a model number on it somewhere.
LJHoffman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
Klunky Chris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

old craftsman 6" metal lathe (often called 618 ) made by Atlas.
It appears to be very nice shape!
All your change gears etc are on the gray board in your wood lathe pic.

They tend to be collectible due to small bench size. some go for dumb money if an interested buyer is found. (I wouldn't sell it)
If you start searching the internet you will find scans of the original manuals etc. Many reprints for sale as well.

just one example: http://users.frii.com/katana/618.html

I have one and love it. Much better than the Chinese stuff you buy today. No metric threading gears though.

edit to add: I think the data-plate is up under the ways on the rear of the unit. Very hard to see. It may be there and you overlooked it.

Craftsman model #'s
Old style (bushing) 6" lathe 101.07301
Old style Timken bearing 6" lathe 101.21400
Klunky Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you LJHoffman77, Klunky Chris and Swan!

I'll do some looking around and see what I can find. It appears there was a name plate on it at one time, but now there are just two small holes where it used to be...

I would appreciate any pictures you can provide! I'll take some pictures of all the pieces and parts that came in a shoe box and share them later today. Can't really make heads or tails of some of it. Hoping it will all make sense once I lay it all out and find the appropriate manuals.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Little late, but here is a picture of the parts I don't know for sure what they are, or if they even go to the metal lathe or the wood lathe. Everything in the box, I have figured out. The parts laid out on the towel are the parts I don't know the name of and/or use.

The top left is a motor on a mount, with what looks to me to be a cutting "bit". In the little bit of research I have been able to do, it appears that Atlas/Craftsman also sold a 6" Armature Lathe. Would that be what this motor with cutting "bit" is for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.IMG_2099.jpg
Old 08-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

the triangle thing is a drift pin used for removing the live or dead stop on the collet end of the lathe.

the bottom 3 items look like dead stops and the other two looks to be a adapter for the collet to hold the small dead pin (see the slot that where the drift pin goes to remove the dead stop from the adapter .

Anything like those that spin would a live stop which is in the collet in the 1st pic of the lathe itself . if you crank that out a bit you will see a slot in that for the drift pin also

hard to see on a small pic
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:49 AM   #8
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you Swan. I'll check all of that out!
Old 11-21-2020, 01:44 AM   #9
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

As a retired toolmaker, I have used many many metal lathes . Good luck with it.
Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop