lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 1994 CC Carryall 2 Vanguard 18hp motor swap build

Well, I am finally doing this the right way. Here are some pics of what I have to work with, and the journey of where I would like to be at the end of the road. My club car had an fe350 motor that has low compression and I decided to trade an old dirt bike for a Vanguard 18hp motor off of Craigslist. My end result plan is to lift it with a long travel kit, put some rims and tires on it, disc brakes in the front and a stereo and then... haul dirt, haul brush, transport rocks, transport other building materials, and other projects I try and conquer on our home.
So I got the motor in and noticed....Dang... not much room here!!! Are things supposed to be this tight? I am using a Vegas Carts conversion plate.
As you can see, the amount of room near the transaxle is....0!!!

I have the motor as far forward as it will go!!!!
There is like...no more room left!!! If I lift the cart, will I gain more room because the transaxle will be located lower down the profile of the cylinder?

Now that I have already started 3 or 4 other threads, I will try and stay on track with this one for my build. I thank all who have contributed in past threads and appreciate all the uplifting comments. I know now, I am way over my head but, in all reality, this should be a piece of cake that I will conquer and come out on top of!!!! Let the games begin!
Vinny73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1994 CC Carryall 2 Vanguard 18hp motor swap build

The first thing I did was completely strip everything out of the engine compartment, except for the rearend. Everything got removed. I mean everything. The engine can only mount in a certain area, and if things are in the way, that area becomes even smaller. All the small items in the compartment can be mounted pretty much anywhere.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
The first thing I did was completely strip everything out of the engine compartment, except for the rearend. Everything got removed. I mean everything. The engine can only mount in a certain area, and if things are in the way, that area becomes even smaller. All the small items in the compartment can be mounted pretty much anywhere.
The only area than I am needing room is in the forward direction. I have plenty side to side movement. The fitment between the transaxle and the front crossmember is where I am lacking space. I had to remove the shroud from around the rear cylinder to get the motor to fit closer to the brackets on the transaxle for the throttle cables.

I will try and get the cart up on blocks so I can take a pic of the mounting bolts for the motor to the plate. The forward motor mount bolts hit the forward crossmember on the rear link, therefore not allowing me to get that last 1/2" I could use so things are not so tight up agains the transaxle. I could notch the crossmember but I'm not sure that is the answer yet.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

You don't want to remove the shroud. It is needed for cooling. How much distance between the top of the motor and the bottom of the seat?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have not put the seat back on yet, but the motor will actually be under the dump bed. I did check clearance and I am okay on space. Maybe I could make another 1/2" solid steel stock as a riser plate and allow for more forward movement on top of the motor plate?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

That's what I'm getting at. The higher the motor can sit, the more fore/aft adjustment you have.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Okay, so, the Vegas Carts motor plate did come with some 1/4" nylon spacers that went under the rear mounts. Maybe I could take some steel stock and make some 3/4" rear and 1/2" forward spacers. That would be lighter and less flexing of the plate. Hmmm... ideas flowing. Okay, this will be the next task. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Just make sure you have enough clearance so the rear springs can flex.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
Just make sure you have enough clearance so the rear springs can flex.
If the cart is lifted, will this increase the clearance? Trying to picture this. O man, I need to put the air cleaner on and re-check.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I know nothing about a Club Car suspension.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!