lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Default Delta Q not charging

Ok, the problems keep coming. My charger was fine earlier tonight and turned on right after my short ride. It is now blinking 2 red flashes. Onboard digital meter reads 49.9 across the pack which is where it was when I got home. I have pugged and unplugged from the cart and the wall. It still blinks 2 red flashes. Any thoughts? I am going to try my voltmeter and see what each battery reads. maybe that will show something??
sigfla45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Default Re: Delta Q not charging

Ok, I think I see what happened. My culprit battery that was boiling over has a broken terminal at the corroded positive stud. Now I need to figure out why it is happening. My suspicion is that there is a short happening at the 16v connection. Why that didn't affect the 2 batteries directly connected to my accessories I don't know. I am going to disconnect them now and wait until my new 2g cables get done. I hope the battery isn't ruined. All voltages measured at 8.33 except for the 2 stereo batteries wired for 16v which measured at 8.29-8.3.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #3
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Ok unplugged everything. Terminal burned out the second the charger was plugged in after my ride with the kids. Running 23's with stock controller and small gauge cables (either stock 6 or 4 gauge). Terminals look very small. Corrosion and acid helped things along but the small cables and terminals didn't help my setup any. I wonder if my 80% batteries caused the charger to peak and burn out the cable that was already weak from small size, excess load, and acid? Something caused the initial bubbling while off charge however and that may be a short in my accessory setup. Everything has been fine for a week or so however and all of the terminals looked clean up until today. I have new 2g cables coming and a new key switch plate that will give me motivation to look behind the dash. Any of the Pro's on here have some advice? I don't want this to happen again.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Well I tested my aux + - wires to see if I had a short. I really am a novice voltmeter user however and just tried what I saw on youtube. My meter has a resistance mode only. Testing it at 20K I had a resistance of 3.0. From what I read if I did it right anything under 2 is a short. I am at a loss. New DC to DC converter is going to power up the accessories now (like it should have from day 1). I am also installing an aux battery to power a future winch setup. How can I test if the battery itself is shorted internally? Anyone able to help me out? I really want to wrench this thing myself and want to get it setup right.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Delta q QE charger is junk, bet you will have to replace. I wouldn't spend a dime to repair the crappy QE.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Any of the Pro's on here have some advice? I don't want this to happen again.
Keep your battery terminals clean. Depending on how often you use the cart, wash the batteries off on a weekly to monthly basis to keep acid and dust buildup from getting to the terminals. It only takes a quick spray with the hose and if you do it on a normal basis you don't need to use any kind of neutralizer or other cleaners.
Use a protective spray on the posts and cable ends to minimize the chance of corrosion.
Just coincidence that it happened to burn out while the charger was on. Charger will only run 15-20 amps at most. Your motor pulls 10 times that amount easy. The damage was already done and you just happened to be lucky enough to make it back to the house before it finally broke.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
sigfla45
Gone Wild

New cables are going on now. Still have the same problem. All of the old burned out and broken terminals are gone. It’s frustrating me. I don’t know if I have a bad charger, bad charging port, or bad grey wire temp sensor thing coming from the charging port. The grey wire looks ok and the charging port doesn’t seem to have a fuse like some series carts. I don’t know if my 2016 TXT 48 has a reed switch. I don’t think so. I have a short blue to reddish wire that has some kind of inline plug at the port connecting them both. I think it may go to the F/R switch. The buzzer works and the cart voltage is at 49.7. I hate to just buy a new charger for nothing if that’s not it. I don’t want to start replacing parts to diagnose the issue either. HELP!!! The kids are dying to go for a ride and I am stumped.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Here are some pics of what I am seeing. My pack reads 49+ volts. I swapped all cables for 2G today. Charger plugs in and I hear a click the LEDS flash green for a micro second then nothing and all I get are 2 red flashes. I know I am not over or under voltage. Is there something between the charger plug and the battery that is causing it to not sense my voltage and turn on? I know the grey wire has some kind of temp sensor switch in it. All I need is a test procedure to determine if I need a new charger as the fix. Please any help is appreciated.

Grey wire looks ok. Another post referenced the black box melting as a failure. Mine looks fine.
[IMG]

Redish/Orange to Blue kinda looks like it goes to the F/R switch. That has power and buzzer.

What is the blue wire and black plug to red wire?
[/IMG]
Old 01-05-2019, 05:59 PM   #9
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Please excuse my crappy small terminal connections. I hooked Scotty's DVM up kinda quick and am gonna clean them up when I install the new motor cables (with older stepson's help) and hopefully new XCT 500 amp controller. Gotta sort this out first though.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

2 flash doesn't signify temp errors, and charger does click, so power at port is good. That means charger time. Click, 2 flash, click is common failure mode. You can open the charger to check all connections, but that's about all you have left. I'm convinced the charger is bad, I have a whole pile of them that does the same thing.........
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO