lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
quixin
Not Yet Wild

Default 72V EZGO W/ High Speed Gears?

I'm looking to purchase a used 72V EZGO Express L6 (2020) that the owner reports to have had the dealer install high-speed gears (I assume 8:1..?). Reportedly this also disables the cart's ability to switch between turtle and rabbit mode that it had from the factory.

I've done a few searches around here that give me pause as to if this is a good idea or not. Any input would be appreciated..!
quixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 72V EZGO W/ High Speed Gears?

Not sure why it would need high speed gears but sounds like someone turned up the controller with a handheld and possibly corrupted the controller. One of the signs is the rabbit turtle switch quits working. Where are you located?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #3
quixin
Not Yet Wild

St Aug, FL.

The seller indicates the switch is no longer used due to the mod... Hmm..

He requested more speed from the dealer and this is what they proposed.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Usga or Bob may jump in but pretty sure the 2020 L6 can be turned up correctly with the right procedure such that you wouldn’t need the gears and you would get to keep the switch.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #5
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Rabbit/Turtle switch not working IS NOT CONTROLLER CORRUPTION.
It happens when the handset is used to change the selected profile from the default one. You can restore the Rabbit/Turtle function by setting this value back to 0.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (3.9 KB, 0 views)
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:42 PM   #6
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Usga or Bob may jump in but pretty sure the 2020 L6 can be turned up correctly with the right procedure such that you wouldn’t need the gears and you would get to keep the switch.
Yes that cart can be programmed to go 30+mph without speed gears.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:04 PM   #7
quixin
Not Yet Wild

I guess my primary question is - should I be avoiding this cart for any reason?

The owner reports speeds of 30mph. I was concerned that would come at some cost in terms of damage down the road...
Old 10-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #8
quixin
Not Yet Wild

I appear to have found an answer to my question in a different thread by BobBoyce.

Quote:
I should add. Changing rear end gears to speed up one of these 72V carts should NEVER be done... That changes the controllers motor current/RPM mapping, causing the motor to draw much more current than it was designed for. The maps in the controller will not match what the motor requires anymore. The end result will be premature failure of the controller and motor from overheat. The controllers in these carts are not bolted to a proper heat sink for higher current draw. They are just mounted to a flat mounting plate.

Bob
I suppose I will be avoiding this cart... :-/
Old 10-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #9
luvdamud
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quixin, how much is the cart? That is really the deciding factor, everything else can be fixed or swapped. BTW, with 8:1 gears and that driveline if you had the power (which you don't using factory Lead batteries and a stock controller) that cart is set up to potentially run over 80mph with those gears on 20" tires! I don't know why someone would do that. If it really does have a gear swap to get to 30, that was a total waste of $$. A reprogram by Bob for a couple hundred bucks or even a new Navitas for $800 would have been a much better investment.

However, if it is a good deal, you should still buy it.

Last edited by luvdamud; 10-07-2021 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
luvdamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:52 PM   #10
quixin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdamud View Post
Quixin, how much is the cart? That is really the deciding factor, everything else can be fixed or swapped. BTW, with 8:1 gears and that driveline if you had the power (which you don't using factory Lead batteries and a stock controller) that cart is set up to potentially run over 80mph with those gears on 20" tires! I don't know why someone would do that. If it really does have a gear swap to get to 30, that was a total waste of $$. A reprogram by Bob for a couple hundred bucks or even a new Navitas for $800 would have been a much better investment.

However, if it is a good deal, you should still buy it.
Thanks for taking the time to weigh in. Great points for consideration..! It's been especially frustrating with carts being hard to come by in my neck of the woods.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO