lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2021, 04:45 PM   #11
dwhitt74
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Re: 1205M Wiring Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The solenoid not clicking is the problem. The precharge resistor smoking says the controller is passing amps to the motor, but the solenoid contacts are not closed, so motor amps are trying to be drawn through the resistor and the resistor gets mighty hot when that happens.

B+ on the red wire from the pedal switch goes to two places, solenoid coil and controller Pin-1. If everything is wired correctly and in good health, the solenoid should energize and the controller should power up. What is happening in your cart is the controller is powering up, but the solenoid isn't energizing.

Make sure you are getting B+ to one side of the solenoid coil and B- to the other.
OK, got back to it today after work after reading your input above. I hooked blue from key switch directly to interlock + from charging receptacle. Then, green from key switch directly to batt pack -. Then the red wire that comes from the 4 wire square plug coming from accel. pedal directly to + small terminal on solenoid. NOTHING.

Next thing I tried was jumping directly from Batt. Pack + to small + terminal on solenoid. CLICK --> the solenoid energized. The FNR switch clicked in all positions, and the accel. pedal made it GO in both directions.

My question I guess now is: Is the red wire coming from the square connector from the accel. pedal the correct wire to go to the small + terminal on the solenoid? If not, how do I get the + juice FROM the interlock on the charge receptacle to flow THROUGH the key switch, THROUGH the pedal, and INTO the small + terminal on the solenoid, like it is supposed to? (i think)

I am almost there, just need the last piece of the puzzle.
dwhitt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1205M Wiring Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitt74 View Post
My question I guess now is: Is the red wire coming from the square connector from the accel. pedal the correct wire to go to the small + terminal on the solenoid? If not, how do I get the + juice FROM the interlock on the charge receptacle to flow THROUGH the key switch, THROUGH the pedal, and INTO the small + terminal on the solenoid, like it is supposed to? (i think)

I am almost there, just need the last piece of the puzzle.
I'm going to change some wires so the wire colors match up better, or at least a little less confusing.

Blue wire from charge receptacle to Blue wire to keyswitch.
Green wire from keyswitch to green wire to pedal switch.
Red wire from pedal switch to small terminal (coil) on solenoid AND Controller pin-1.

Now controller should power up and solenoid should click when pedal is pushed if key is on and charger unplugged from cart.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:27 PM   #13
dwhitt74
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I'm going to change some wires so the wire colors match up better, or at least a little less confusing.

Blue wire from charge receptacle to Blue wire to keyswitch.
Green wire from keyswitch to green wire to pedal switch.
Red wire from pedal switch to small terminal (coil) on solenoid AND Controller pin-1.

Now controller should power up and solenoid should click when pedal is pushed if key is on and charger unplugged from cart.
Thanks JohnnieB. That seemed to make more sense to me, but I was following the instructions that came with my reverse contactor. Did what you said, though, and I'm still not getting + voltage on the red wire from the pedal switch, and thus no solenoid activation. I'm stuck. I can still jumper from battery pack + and get solenoid activation and motor movement in both directions. Something must be up with the pedal box or micro switch?

Edit: On second thought, it would have to be the key switch or the pedal switch (MS3), correct?

Edit 2: Just remembered I know how to test the key switch and it tested good. 50.4 volts on + blue side to Pack -, nothing on the green side. Turn key to ON, then 50.4 volts on both green and blue, to pack -. Now, how to access and test the microswitch. Please correct me if I am headed the wrong direction. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The four pin square in-line connector at the end of the gray cable from the pedal box is a source of many problems and most people eliminate it with butt-splices or solder joints.

You might try unplugging that connector and measuring between red and green wires going to the pedal switch with an Ohmmeter or conductivity checker. Should be open with pedal up and short with pedal pushed. If you don't get the, you have to lift the floor-mat to get to the pedal box.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #15
dwhitt74
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The four pin square in-line connector at the end of the gray cable from the pedal box is a source of many problems and most people eliminate it with butt-splices or solder joints.

You might try unplugging that connector and measuring between red and green wires going to the pedal switch with an Ohmmeter or conductivity checker. Should be open with pedal up and short with pedal pushed. If you don't get the, you have to lift the floor-mat to get to the pedal box.
OK, with the key switch ON, I got 50.4V to the charge receptacle, then into the blue wire to the key switch, then into the green wire to the 4 pin square connector, then THROUGH the 4-pin square connection (on the pedal box side of the connection), then that is where 50.4V stops. It never makes it back up the RED wire to the pedal box side of the 4-pin square connector. With the pedal un-pushed, there is no voltage coming through the micro switch. Once the pedal is pushed down, all you get is 80mV. Continuity test showed short when pedal pushed. Is it the 80mV that it is calling short?
Old 10-12-2021, 08:39 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Probably, must be a bad pedal switch.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:47 PM   #17
dwhitt74
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Probably, must be a bad pedal switch.
Thanks! Got one ordered. Will report back once installed.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:47 PM   #18
dwhitt74
Not Yet Wild

New pedal switch did the trick. With the 1205M 500 amp controller and the beast motor I'm getting 25mph top speed and a lot of torque on take-off. Very happy with the results of this swap. The reverse contactor from ScottyB polishes it off nicely, too. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 10-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #19
dwhitt74
Not Yet Wild

Finished cart:)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20211018_231846259.jpg (228.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20211018_231958823.jpg (218.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO