lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

Default lithium conversion Yamaha YDRE

Hello, I own a 2009 Yamaha YDRE 48 volt electric golf cart. I was in need of batteries but none were to be found in my area at this time. The t-1275 are on back-order. I decided to buy a 48volt 60ah lithium battery pack and do a conversion. I have lithium battery and it registers fully charged and 52.8 volts. I hooked it up to my cart and took cart out of tow mode and turned on switch. When I took out of tow mode I heard the famous click of the controller, same thing when I turned the key to "on". I tested lights, blinkers, horn, reverse switch (with backup tone), everything tested OK. I left they key "on" for about 30 min. When I got back nothing was working. I checked battery voltage and there was nothing, no voltage across the positive/negative terminals. I placed in tow mode, disconnected positive lead and checked battery, immediately registered 52.8 volts. Hooked up positive terminal , still tested at 52.8 volts, placed in "run" mode and got "click" and then nothing, Zero voltage out of battery. I'm thinking it could be the battery BMS. But not sure. Any ideas/help will be appreciated!
ski-vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: lithium conversion Yamaha YDRE

Have you charged it yet?
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like your BMS is shutting down the battery output. Battery probably needs charging. Follow the manufacturer's instructions!
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #4
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

Yes battery is fully charged. I agree BMS is shutting down battery.

This is a totally stock cart. Does anyone know how many AMPS or Watts are being pulled (required) by a Yamaha G29 with YDRE controller when cart is placed in "run" mode?
Old 10-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Fully charged? My 48V pack is fully charged at 57.0V, and when I get to 51V I get nervous, and when I get to 50V (at rest) it's gonna get charged.

Then there's this from a Yamaha golf cart troubleshooting web site:

The batteries’ voltage: This is one of the primary reasons for your golf cart controller’s death. There are times when the battery voltage is too low or too high. The ideal battery voltage is between 12 to 48 volts.

I know NADA about Yam's but is your controller a factory 48V controller?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like your battery's BMS is set to a low max current draw which is probably shutting it down. Go to the source of your battery for help solving the problem. I am running two Yamaha YDRE's on Lithium but I am using Leaf cells that I built up myself with my own BMS. Run current at 20mph is about 70 amps. Start current from dead stop is over 250 amps.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #7
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the great feed back. It sounds like my battery might not be fully charged (even though charger says it is) or maybe it is the BMS set to a low max current draw. I'll spend sometime in the next few days reviewing and checking everything I have done up till this point and report what I find.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #8
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

BTW yes my controller is Yamaha factory. It's known as a Yamaha YDRE - 270 amps controller. I've read a lot of different articles about they are not the best but they do work and I'm not looking to go 30 MPH. I just want to get to the golf course, play a round, and get home then put it back on the charger.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:37 PM   #9
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Did you ever get this sorted out? Which batteries and which charger are you using?
richj11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48volt, conversion, lithium, yamaha, ydre
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha