lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
xjwillx
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Stock 2007 Drive or Stock 1998 G16 - For Build Platform

1st post but have spent way too much time reading posts in this forum. I sold my electric at the end of last season with the plan of buying a gas one and building it the way I wanted before this season began. I am from Southern Michigan and it will mainly be used at my cottage. No real hill climbing as it is flat land. Will be used to drive around the lake and to another lake, run down the road to the carryout, and take me out on the ice for fishing.

Based on all the research I have done here, I have narrowed my search down to a 2007 stock drive for $2300 and a 1998 G16 for $1800. Both are fleet carts and the 2007 was from one course while I think the G16 made it to two courses.

My intentions are to put a lift kit with 23 inch tires along with heavy duty springs, rear seat and headlights. I want to stay close to $3000 so I have been leaning towards the G16 for budget reasons. That and it seems like there are more upgrade options (a frame lift).Now, I can go over budget if it makes sense as the drive has the disc brakes and is much newer.

As mentioned the cart will mainly be used on flat land, some sand, and hopefully ice. I will be hauling friends and items around and it will be on the road so I do want to consider top speed which it seems like the Drive is lacking however I will probably look to plowmans kits after I rebuild "the wife doesn't know fund" back up after this season.

I have read pros and cons for both machines but figured I would throw the question out to everyone to gain some prospective from knowledge readers. So if you were in my situation which one would you buy and which one do you think is a better deal?
xjwillx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Stock 2007 Drive or Stock 1998 G16 - For Build Platform

All your questions/concerns are valid. The G16 would give a better ride quality then the drive. The drive has clutch and pedal assy issues. The drive has rack and pinion steering, G16- worm shaft/pitman steering. Can you find a G22a for a good price in your area?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
xjwillx
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I saw a couple but just did a search a little further than I planned on driving and I found a 2005 for $2000 and 2004 for $2100. Close to me were a 2006 and 2005 both for over $3500?!?

Haven't put a lot of time researching these as they weren't on my radar. Do you think it would be worth the extra half hour in a car for that price? They both look like the were also from a golf course. I did notice there were plenty of options for this modal as well.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

For only a $200 difference, the G22 would be a good bet. Rack and pinion steering, bigger engine, nicer top. I've got one of each--they're both great carts in stock form.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
xjwillx
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

So the 98 is off the table. For the extra 300 does the 2007 make sense for the disk brakes? Or is the 2005 a better buy since there are more upgrade options and it has the same motor with better steering? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
xjwillx
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Well I just left looking at the 2005 G22 and it was a flop so I am going with the 2007 Drive. The good news is I will have the pick of the mill when they transport them in from the course.

Anything I should be looking for when I look them over and select which one I want? Anyway to tell if the secondary clutch had the update performed or if the brake/accelerator pedal assembly has been upgraded. Again I will get to look them all over and make my pick so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

After that I will be ordering a Jakes lift, wheels, a back seat and light and hopefully sneaking in the plowman extreme performance kit.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
YamahaCRN35
Gone Wild

The main 2 things I would check for is the secondary clutch being loose and the brakes. Sometimes you can just tighten up the secondary bolt and it's fine but sometimes if it's been like that for 2500 miles, the splines are toast and you need a new clutch. Also check to see if the brake pedal comes all the way back up. It's a lot more of a problem on the electrics I've noticed, but they drag the brakes everyday on the coarse for 2 years and the brakes get worn out and the rear end grunts when you stop.
YamahaCRN35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjwillx View Post
Well I just left looking at the 2005 G22 and it was a flop so I am going with the 2007 Drive. The good news is I will have the pick of the mill when they transport them in from the course.

Anything I should be looking for when I look them over and select which one I want? Anyway to tell if the secondary clutch had the update performed or if the brake/accelerator pedal assembly has been upgraded. Again I will get to look them all over and make my pick so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

After that I will be ordering a Jakes lift, wheels, a back seat and light and hopefully sneaking in the plowman extreme performance kit.
The biggest issues with the "Drive" carts revolve around the clutches. So anything relating to that is a great area to check. When I picked up my 2007, the belt was worn below the width of 1", the secondary clutch was dished and worn to the point of holes forming in the thinnest areas. I replaced those parts and it runs fine now. But signs of wear like this show a lot of "mileage". If you can pick through the litter, try to find the one with the least clutch wear.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
xjwillx
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the replies and do you have any pictures of what the bad clutch looked like? I planned on taking measuring calipers to select one that had a wide belt as I hoped that would keep me from selecting a bad one. Will also check the brakes as was suggested. Thanks again for your help and once I start to build it out I will show some pictures.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
dbmachine
Gone Wild

My 09 was a course cart as well like sandbagger. The secondary clutch you will see a deep groove about mid way up the sheeves. Years and years with the governor set at a slow speed the golfers are gonna run the cart fast as possible and the grooves on the sheeves will show how high the belt moved over those years. Either way i would have plowmans do an upgrade on the clutches for peak performance.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha