lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
Nam Vet
Not Yet Wild

Default Charge new batteries bypassing controller

I want to charge 6 new batteries on my 36 volt txt. I need to find out if the motor is still good. I want to use the golf cart charger for charging them. Am I able to connect the chargers leads to the batteries with the controller disconnected.
Thanks!
Nam Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Charge new batteries bypassing controller

Yes, but probably best to temporarily disconnect the smallest wire on the back of the charge port while doing so.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
Nam Vet
Not Yet Wild

There is no smaller wire. Looks like #12 for both wires. The wires are black and white. Checking the polarity shows the white as the positive which I dont understand seeing how white should be a neutral. Its my understanding that I can put a positive lead on the first battery and the negative lead on the second to charge the whole bank. Is this true?
Old 08-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

No small wire coming out of the charge receptacle, so your cart is likely to be a 1995 or earlier.

You are thinking of AC wiring and the cart is DC wiring. There is no identified conductor or color code for DC wiring, however black tends to be negative while white or red tends to be positive.

Also there is no frame or body ground in an electric golf cart and all circuits are two wire. (B- and B+)

In the OEM wiring, EZGO uses a black wire for B- (Battery negative) almost exclusively and wires of any other color are likely to be B+.

The exception to black wires being B- is the wiring in the throttle circuits.

You connect a 36V charger to the most negative and most positive terminals of a 36V battery pack. See attached drawing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
Nam Vet
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
so your cart is likely to be a 1995 or earlier
Yes it is. Im thinking 94. The model plate is missing so I dont know the exact year. I was given this cart over 5 years ago by my stepson.

Quote:
You are thinking of AC wiring and the cart is DC wiring. There is no identified conductor or color code for DC wiring, however black tends to be negative while white or red tends to be positive.
Yes! The white being used as a hot, even in low voltage dc electronics, goes against my grain being an Electrician.

Someone said the batterys wont charge using the charge receptacle without the controller in the circuit. Is this true? If so I guess Ill have to charge two batteries at a time.
All the old batteries were tested and all were bad. The cart just sat there for about 2 years. I put the new ones in but no go. This is why I want to check the motor but I would like to charge the batteries up before I continue. If the motor is bad Ill have to take it to a shop as Im not physically able to do it.

I can take a picture of the cart so you might be able to tell the year.

I have the controller disconnected. If I connect it back up and use the charge port and the batteries charge up I would assume the controller is ok.

Thanks Guys for the help!!
Old 08-17-2020, 01:10 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

You can totally charge your batteries "without the controller being in the circuit"! Yes, & dont believe the guy down at the corner who says otherwise. I totally understand your "ruffles" with "white vs black" wire colors as compared to "house wiring" (it took a minute for me to get used to as well). It just is what it is, and this is the program you'll have to get accustomed to for DC stuff, as that's just how it is (you'll get used to it when you think "is it AC stuff, or DC stuff").

I will add this, I have never once "zapped" myself by making that mistake, and you'll catch on real quick as far as how it goes.

Dont be afraid of 36v, 48v, or even 72v, it's not that bad to touch, and I actually recommend touching 36 or 48 with dry fingers to the "new guys", just to "get that out of the way" (I'm gonna get ripped for that). Its only about as bad as sticking a 9v battery to your tongue. All "sweaty fingers" is a little worse, but not "ahhhhhh! Screaming by any means"... just touching it with your fingers doesnt allow passage of much power.

Now I'm gonna say what will ruin your week/month. Finger jewelry/arm jewelry/neck jewelry. That will do horrible things in less than a second! All the Warnings of "remove metal jewelry" is 100% real valid advice. I've seen it happen first hand (well, it was my buddy's "first hand"). It turned his finger into a "microwave hotdog" in less than a second. MASSIVE burns & blisters. (Doubled the size of this finger in 2 minutes blister).No joke by any means. He no longer wears a metal ring at work. I just dont wear metal rings. You could end up losing that finger, if infection from the burn set in. Making a 1000a+ short across a metal thing on you (or a wrench your holding) is a real bad deal. Look up the medical term "de-gloved' if you want to see the max gore possible for that type of injury. (Assuming it didnt actually "blow your finger off", which I've never seen, but I bet powerline workers have).

It's really crazy how much difference touching "low voltage dc" does through your (generally not very conductive) fingers works, vs how much carnage happens through a misplaced wrench, or metal jewelry. One is more like "9v battery on your tongue", and the other wants to burn your finger off in 0.2 seconds.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:31 AM   #7
Nam Vet
Not Yet Wild

Ive been shocked more times than I can remember with 110. Doesnt bother me as long as I dont get hung up on it. Ive been hit with 277v. That kicks like a mule.
My grandfather was working on a 480v motor in a factory. This was before they made breaker lockouts. Someone turned the breaker on. He was standing in a little water and reached over the motor and got hit. Knocked him to the floor. He came home and was shaking like he had parkinsons disease.

Only necklace Ive worn is dog tags. Only wore my wedding ring. Never liked wrist watches so I just used a pocket watch.
Contrary to Edison, ac and dc voltage are equal in danger. He tried to put down Tesla as he would lose money over distribution. Edison couldnt hold a candle to Tesla. Tesla and Einstein were friends. Someone asked Einstein in an interview who he thought was the smartest. He said go ask Tesla. Tesla could do complex calculus problems in his head. They didnt have IQ tests back then. For my money he had an IQ over 200.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:57 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Tesla for the win 100%! Edison told Tesla he'd give him $20,000, then said "I was just joking".

I've only been "touched" by 220v once, and I got respect. I've "played with 110v" many times, "dont worry, I'll wire it live".

I dont know how many times you've been shocked by dirt bike magnetos, & GM HEI ignitions, but I say "the worst part of being shocked by a HEI isnt the voltage, its hitting your head on the hood when you jumped, the knot on your head will keep you remembering". The worst shock I ever had was from a motor capacitor, I was actually sore "body & muscle exhaustion" for the rest of the day. (Worst part was it had sat unplugged long enough I didnt consider it a danger).
Old 08-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #9
Nam Vet
Not Yet Wild

Batteries charged up! Heres some pics. Some are not that clear. I couldnt push the cart back away from a table.
If the motor is good I guess Ill have to troubleshoot the controller. I put a new solenoid back when I had it running.
Once again Guys thanks!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO