lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #21
pixtart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 EzGo RXV Charging Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
All 4 batteries are only 6 months old? Is the water at the correct height?

May want to check voltage of each battery separately.
GATORB8,

Here are the individual battery readings using a multimeter.

B1 - 12.40
B2 - 12.23
B3 - 12.44
B4 - 12.38
All Batteries - 49.4Vdc
pixtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #22
pixtart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You need to find a different charger to try.
Hello CGTech,

After slow charging each of the batteries and got a full charge for each, I used an OEM charger borrowed from a friend of mine.

The charger went thru from last night till the morning today (checked around 2am and charger is still running). Was so excited to see this without the charger stopping and turned on the cart to check the voltage, but it does not look good for both Digital SOC and the OEM SOC. Attached are the pics after turning on the key.

With the reading being 48.7VDC and just above half full on the OEM SOC, do you think that the batteries are degraded or could this be an issue on the controller? Kind of hate to know that I have to have something replaced at this early stage, but I would if I have to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_2020-08-14_10-08-56.jpg (72.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2020-08-14_10-08-52.jpg (67.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2020-08-14_10-08-47.jpg (91.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #23
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Looks like probably a battery issue.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #24
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm confused about the batteries. In post #1 you said you bought the cart with a new golf pro battery. In post #2 GATORB8 asked if you meant all 4 batteries. You never answered this. In post #17 GATORB8 asked again about all 4 batteries being 6 months old and you said batteries were 1year 3mo old. So now all of them are that age?

You also stated that after getting the cart it would only charge to 93%. To me this sounds like you bought a new battery and installed it with 3 older ones. Along the way the batteries would only charge to a lower and lower state of charge until the condition you have now. Do I have this right? This type of behavior is a classic example of what happens when a new battery is mixed in with older ones wired in series. The capacities don't match and the new battery is quickly degraded to the same capacity of the others.

In my experience, mixing batteries of different capacities when wired in series never works out. Batteries should be a matched set: brand, model,age and rated capacity.

cgtech said the same thing in 6 words.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #25
pixtart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I'm confused about the batteries. In post #1 you said you bought the cart with a new golf pro battery. In post #2 GATORB8 asked if you meant all 4 batteries. You never answered this. In post #17 GATORB8 asked again about all 4 batteries being 6 months old and you said batteries were 1year 3mo old. So now all of them are that age?

You also stated that after getting the cart it would only charge to 93%. To me this sounds like you bought a new battery and installed it with 3 older ones. Along the way the batteries would only charge to a lower and lower state of charge until the condition you have now. Do I have this right? This type of behavior is a classic example of what happens when a new battery is mixed in with older ones wired in series. The capacities don't match and the new battery is quickly degraded to the same capacity of the others.

In my experience, mixing batteries of different capacities when wired in series never works out. Batteries should be a matched set: brand, model,age and rated capacity.

cgtech said the same thing in 6 words.

Hello kernal. My apologies if I was misunderstood. My apologies top GATORB8 as well for not answering your question. I will try to provide as much info as I can regarding this.

The golf cart was bought with a set of 4 new Golf Pro batteries from Battery Source date E19 (May 2019). Initially, it was installed with a stock SOC then I replaced it with a digital SOC 2 months after. Reading from the Digital SOC was 92% and never reaches 100%. This is used daily by my kids going to school (almost 7 miles per day vice-versa). Past 6 months from today, the issue manifested itself more and the last reading from overnight charging is just 72% before joining this forum.

The reading went worst troubleshooting it the past 4 days following the recommendation from folks who wanted to help. I've done what was asked but I think it has come to a conclusion that the batteries are the issue.

So now my question is, is there a way to "salvage" the batteries to perform better as before? I want to use this cart as much as I can till I am ready to buy new batteries (this time it'll be Trojans) as they would cost me around $800 for the set of 4 tax included.

Again, my apologies if I have not answered the questions, but I really appreciate the help from everyone who responded.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:40 AM   #26
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Being in Atlanta, I assume you know where Peachtree City is. Thousands of carts here. If there was a way to rejuvenate batteries that actually worked people here would be all over it. Golf courses also I imagine.
I don't know exactly how many golf cart shops are here but I can think of 8 off the top of my head. I checked one place on Wednesday and they were offering a six pack of Trojan 875s for $709 with cores but not including tax. With tax, 7%--$758.63 For comparison purposes.

I'm in the market for batteries also. The Trojans (8v) in my RXV are showing signs of terminal illness. 4.5 years old but nearly 500 charge cycles and this is a 30mph+ cart. Average trips are 6-8 miles but many at 15 or more. 4.5 year old Lester charger.
My other cart has Crown CR190s and they are 6.5 years old but past the first 2 years of their life the number of charge cycles dropped by half or more. Spent their entire life on a Gen 3 DPI charger. Don't think you can buy the Gen 3s anymore unless you find a used one. I wouldn't get a Gen 4. They are different.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:44 PM   #27
pixtart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Being in Atlanta, I assume you know where Peachtree City is. Thousands of carts here. If there was a way to rejuvenate batteries that actually worked people here would be all over it. Golf courses also I imagine.
I don't know exactly how many golf cart shops are here but I can think of 8 off the top of my head. I checked one place on Wednesday and they were offering a six pack of Trojan 875s for $709 with cores but not including tax. With tax, 7%--$758.63 For comparison purposes.

I'm in the market for batteries also. The Trojans (8v) in my RXV are showing signs of terminal illness. 4.5 years old but nearly 500 charge cycles and this is a 30mph+ cart. Average trips are 6-8 miles but many at 15 or more. 4.5 year old Lester charger.
My other cart has Crown CR190s and they are 6.5 years old but past the first 2 years of their life the number of charge cycles dropped by half or more. Spent their entire life on a Gen 3 DPI charger. Don't think you can buy the Gen 3s anymore unless you find a used one. I wouldn't get a Gen 4. They are different.
Hello Kernal. We live in Peachtree City by Wisdom Rd near the Shell gas station off of SR74. Wow, what a coincidence.

After charging today, I was able to reach almost 75% reading from the stock SOC. I drove it from home to Lake PTC and back so that is almost 5 miles. After arriving home, I measured the battery voltage and it was 49.46VDC using the meter. The SOC registered the voltage at 50%. Unfortunately, when I tried to charge the cart with both the Quiq and the OEM charger, it would not take a charge. So right now I am charging each of the batteries with a 12V slow charger. Sucks that I have to do it, but It is what it is for now until I am able to buy new Trojans.

I will be purchasing batteries in the next weeks. Mine is a 12V (4x12) and I believe they are $145+ tax a piece.

Thank you for the response by the way.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #28
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Does it identify the battery warranty length? Looks like their basic ones online are 12 mo, but maybe the “pro” is longer.
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:40 AM   #29
pixtart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
Does it identify the battery warranty length? Looks like their basic ones online are 12 mo, but maybe the “pro” is longer.
Hi GATORB8,

They only give a 1 year warranty on these batteries, but I will call them to see.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #30
pixtart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update:

After all the tests conducted and reading through replies, I had the old set of batteries replaced with a set of Trojan 1275s. All electronics are in good condition so good thing nothing was damaged when the batteries were not in order. Wirings are all good too.

Thank you so much for all the help and replies. It made me decide what to do and now my cart and charger is working flawlessly.

Special thanks to GATORB8, cgtech, rngilliland and kernal. You guys rock!!!

Tags
deltaquiq, rxv, state of charge
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO