lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
kirksingleton
Getting Wild

Default 2017 RXV battery or controller problem

Hi, My Rxv doesn't get a lot of use, just one round of golf a week...maybe.
I bought it in the beginning of '14 and it had the 4 US batteries in it. Recently I would go about 1/2 mile from a full charge and the battery meter would drop to 3/4 charge and run sluggish. When plugged into the charger, the charger would flash red about 5 times, then switch to green flashing...charging mode.
The dealer told me that the batteries are probably old so he converted it to 6 trojan 875t2 batteries (for $1400)
Now it does the same thing, I make it about 3/4 a mile and the charge meter drops to 3/4 full and it loses power. I called the dealer and of course he said he tested the old pack and it was "bad", I am not sure that I believe that.
He said the charger may be bad, the controller may be bad or the gage may be bad. I put in a brand new gage last week so I don't think that is it.
Any ideas???
signed,
super frustrated!!!!!
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2017 RXV battery or controller problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksingleton View Post
Hi, My Rxv doesn't get a lot of use, just one round of golf a week...maybe.
I bought it in the beginning of '14 and it had the 4 US batteries in it. Recently I would go about 1/2 mile from a full charge and the battery meter would drop to 3/4 charge and run sluggish. When plugged into the charger, the charger would flash red about 5 times, then switch to green flashing...charging mode.
The dealer told me that the batteries are probably old so he converted it to 6 trojan 875t2 batteries (for $1400)
Now it does the same thing, I make it about 3/4 a mile and the charge meter drops to 3/4 full and it loses power. I called the dealer and of course he said he tested the old pack and it was "bad", I am not sure that I believe that.
He said the charger may be bad, the controller may be bad or the gage may be bad. I put in a brand new gage last week so I don't think that is it.
Any ideas???
signed,
super frustrated!!!!!
The guage in the RXV dash is really just a display that the controller uses to indicate calculated SOC (State of Charge). If it is indicating changes, then it is working. The controller can lose track of SOC, but it takes discharge/charge cycles to help the controller to recalculate SOC correctly.

Since you have the same charger and new batteries, the problem may be with your charger not fully charging your batteries. That can ruin a new set of batteries due to sulphation.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The guage in the RXV dash is really just a display that the controller uses to indicate calculated SOC (State of Charge). If it is indicating changes, then it is working. The controller can lose track of SOC, but it takes discharge/charge cycles to help the controller to recalculate SOC correctly.

Since you have the same charger and new batteries, the problem may be with your charger not fully charging your batteries. That can ruin a new set of batteries due to sulphation.
Bob, would it help him to have him put a dvm on his batteries and verify if they're getting fully charged?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Bob, would it help him to have him put a dvm on his batteries and verify if they're getting fully charged?
I figured I would leave the battery and charger issues to the other guys here that are experts in that. I would not know what to tell him the voltages should be for the brand of batteries that he has. Sounds like a question for JohnnieB or scottyb.

I just wanted to explain that the SOC guage on an RXV dash is not a standalone SOC meter. It's really just a display for the controller to display its calculated SOC on.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
kirksingleton
Getting Wild

I ran it again today and the meter showed in down 1/4 after 20 minutes of running.
The dealer tells me that everything is probably fine and the controller may not be reporting correctly to the meter and that over time, that should fix itself.
That said, I do have a meter and will let it charge up. Measure the pack, run it till it is showing low and measure pack charge again to see the difference.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
kirksingleton
Getting Wild

So, I just ran the cart around 18 holes, not golfing but driving on the cart path at the course.
When I left the pack was at 51.50 and when I got back the meter again showed 3/4 charge and the pack was at 49.10.
The total driving time was 30 minutes.
Is this sounding correct for a new pack or is something sound wrong?
thanks!!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
So, I just ran the cart around 18 holes, not golfing but driving on the cart path at the course.
When I left the pack was at 51.50 and when I got back the meter again showed 3/4 charge and the pack was at 49.10.
The total driving time was 30 minutes.
Is this sounding correct for a new pack or is something sound wrong?
thanks!!
That 51.50 was that while still on the charger? An easy test is after a full overnight charge, unplug the charger from the cart and let the batteries rest unused for 12 hours. Report that voltage...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC%20new.jpg (84.9 KB, 0 views)
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #8
kirksingleton
Getting Wild

teecro- that was immediately after unplugging it. Ill let it charge tonight and unplug in the morning and let sit. Ill report that finding. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
teecro- that was immediately after unplugging it. Ill let it charge tonight and unplug in the morning and let sit. Ill report that finding. Thanks!
Thought so... Your voltage after 30 minutes use does sound low. I'm betting your charger is not doing a good job...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:27 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Again, the meter is only a "messenger" of what the controller determines the battery SOC to be. And the Rxv is very picky of good batteries, or any batteries. 99% of the time it's not the meter as the problem. Also realize that lead batteries never deliver "as advertised" performance when new (or otherwise, but that's a marketing problem we are trained to accept, different topic). It takes 50-100 cycles to reach their "rated capacity". (use-charge-use). Yep, it's crazy, but it's how it goes, it's a characteristic of the lead battery. Overall, I would be suspect of the charger first (the original QE charger is garbage). Get a good charger. Try Dpi from ScottyB. I'm not a BGW sales trumpet, I have seen so much trouble with new-style OEM chargers being junk. Delta-Q got a bad name for even making those things (the way ezgo specified them).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO