lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile gear lash noise. Again.is it normal- or all Quiet

I am back with another way of wording what was going on, with this noise in my CC. The noise didn't go away. Maybe i was not describing it, as i should have been. If you have anything you want to throw out there? I am listening. This small clunk........ i was concerned about....... is this; Its the meshing of the gears, when you put the pedal down. I was wondering if your CC did this, or Is it, so smooth you hear absolutely no noise, at all? Electric cart The normal solenoid click! ..then i hear this small clunk of the gears . Is there supposed to be this noise? or is there something wrong inside. don't want to tear it all apart and find out, i am still wrong. As i said feel free with what you might know on this.

Should there not be any gear clunking in to forward or reverse.
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: gear lash noise. Again.is it normal- or all Quiet

My clunk was the U bolts loose allowing the rear end to move and make my noise, watched it with the access cover off .
glassk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

thank you glassk i-will check that out
bob s
Old 08-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
Drewfus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'll be watching this as well... And trying not to hijack..
My '97 CC electric DS has always had a clunk or clink(not a clank..lol) since I bought it ~3.5 yrs ago. I attributed it to gear lash as it made this noise even when I had the axle assembly completely out of the cart. Definitely was not U-bolts.
It looks to be about 3-5 degrees of lash or slack if you will before it "catches".
Last time I loaded it up and then off my trailer(tilt-bed in which I had to hold the "gas" pedal down until my assistant pushed down the front of the trailer to level) it developed a "clicking" in what seems to me to be the intermediate drive gear area when driving. Not grinding, but a clicking or ticking noise. I drained diff. oil, pulled the axles out. All looks good with only 2 or 3 very tiny(~.030") shavings in the coffee filter I strained the oil through.
I also stuck a magnet pen inside the oil drain hole and fished around. Nothing. Not really wanting to drive it til I find the issue.

I'm thinking maybe bearings at the least or (yikes) a gear or 2 at the most. Anyone have any ideas or have had this happen before? Something else for me to look for?

This might give bsa_bob an idea as well as he has prolly the same clunk as myself....

'97 DS
new D&D 2:2 motor
new FSIP 700 A controller
new Scotty B solenoid
Drewfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

That was on a 1999 DS PD+, no lift that ii had just gotten, it sounded like a clunk and I see spring bushings need some work also,

you could have someone drive and you could use one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-69913.html to see if you could pin it down

Old 08-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

i have this tool stethscope and tried it here awhile back. i sorta gave up too. but am determined to find its cause now [noise] not spring bushings! Drewfus !!Finally i have the exact noise same noise that you have. Its not the spring clamps!That i checked --the first thing the first time.I suppose if i bought bought new axels......and new pinion gear.......... it would still do this.I really don't like this d*** -noise, we will some help here, i think this time.The last time few months ago, i was beginning to think that this was a common noise . now know its not
. bob s
ps the noise came thru the stethescope i have, when I pointed directly at the driverside-- axel housing end, right next to the wheel, the drum, the housing- etc.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Maybe david hicks has some more input, on our problem, of the same nature?. He will show up. i think? bob s
Old 08-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I'm starting to think it's a problem with the internal gears Bob.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I'm starting to think it's a problem with the internal gears Bob.
So i should take it all apart,you think?
David bob
Old 08-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #10
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post

So i should take it all apart,you think?
David bob
I would drain some fluid , maybe raise the front wheel that is opposite the plug, plug on drivers side raise passenger wheel so the metal if any can be caught in a filter .

Just an idea.

also see if it changes sound with new fluid,.?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car