lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
Jimbofinch6
Not Yet Wild

Default Ruff and tuff 48v need help wiring forward/reverse rocker switch

So I let the kids ride the golf cart it’s a 48v ruff and tuff and was working fine some kind of way the forward/reverse switch got pulled out or (as the kids say it just fell out) of the dash. The wires came off and they attempted to re connect them and now I can’t figure out what wire goes where on the back of the switch. It is an 8 pin forward/reverse mini rocker switch can anyone please help?? Going camping for Halloween and would like to bring the cart.
Jimbofinch6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: Ruff and tuff 48v need help wiring forward/reverse rocker switch

Not only is getting any wiring diagram or controller/electronic parts impossible, but Ruff n Tuff doesn't even exist anymore. I think maybe Bad Boy bought them out but I'm not sure.

We got a Ruff n Tuff we 'made run' by making it into a resistor car, with forward/reverse done via solenoids so the F/N/R switch could still be used, and a key switch to kill the activation circuit, and re purposing the pedal group microswitch. It no longer has the locking differential or 4x4, but it runs. Sadly, that's about all you can really hope for. If the motor is bad though, and it WILL fail (it is underpowered for the weight), you will NOT be able to get a replacement.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
Jimbofinch6
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I’m just using it till it gives out but it was working fine I just dont know what wire goes to what pin on back of the forward reverse switch
Old 10-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

There's no run/tow switch so be careful. Once you let the magic smoke out of the controller due to incorrect wiring, you can't put it back in.

Do you at least have a multi-meter? Ours just had a double-throw switch, one position is like neutral (middle) forward and reverse. There were 6 pins but via multimeter only three of the six were used, and the other three did the same thing.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
Jimbofinch6
Not Yet Wild

That’s what it’s has except 8 pins and I have 7 wires that need to be connected to it
Old 10-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #6
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Yeah in my case I bypassed what was left of the original harness. Sorry but all I can suggest is good luck!

Some of the wires oftentimes go to a lamp inside the switch too. That's probably the extra two wires that make it 8. two for an LED indicator, three for the actual circuit, three others for relays.

After I was done with ours, the car had literally six solenoids; four for forward/reverse switching electronically, one for low speed, and another for high speed. I re-used the original switch for F/N/R but didn't care for the relay, or LED indicator, just the switching. I re-used one the 'extra slots' for a high/low speed to control the speed switching solenoids. The idea was to get the car running, as inexpensive as possible. I wasn't going to find the controller anywhere, the company no longer exists except to make cheap back seat kits, and I can't read or translate Chinese (all the controller had on it).

I managed to make a two-speed resistor car, with working headlights. the radar scope (We had this car before in the past in fully-working order, this thing actually has some sort of radar that can guesstimate what animals are nearby similar to how a metal detector guesses if what it senses is a coin, pull tab, can, etc) was not going to work at any cost nor was the locking rear or the 4x4 system and no harnesses seem to exist.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts