lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
Quickshippaul
Not Yet Wild

Default Powerwise II issue

I recently noticed my neutral wire from my 110v power source had fried my relay inside my charger. My fault, noticed the connection was loose and didn't tighten it. So I ordered a new relay for 50.00. installed it and the charger still will not work. So I figured I fried the OBC that the relay is attached too, but before buying a 200.00 OBC I decided to bypass the relay. By doing so the charger works. It works when it is plugged into the cart. When I unplugged it from the cart it makes a different sound and drops down the 0 amps but doesn't shut off. My question is this. If I bypass the relay and the charger is working besides the automatic shutoff does this mean I got a bad relay or that my OBC is bad and needs replaced? If the OBC needs replaced I might as well buy a whole new charger.
Quickshippaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Powerwise II issue

With the relay bypassed the charger stays on at all times when plugged into the AC outlet.
Bypassing the relay in the charger tells you nothing about the OBC.
If it was charging with the relay bypassed, chances are good that the OBC is fine.

If the relay pin burned, did it also burn the wires and the wire terminals? Were they repaired/replaced? This would be a likely place for a poor connection.

Check the fuse inside the yellow fuse holder on the grey lead out of the charge receptacle on the cart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:57 AM   #3
Quickshippaul
Not Yet Wild

I did have to repair both wires on the relay.
Yellow fuse holder on gray lead from cart?
Quickshippaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yes. Three wires on the back of the charge receptacle on the cart. Red, Black, and Grey.
Grey is the sense lead which goes to the OBC and provides ground for the relay to turn the charger on after its plugged into the cart. There's a yellow "bulb" inline fuse holder on the grey wire a few inches from the receptacle. Check the fuse in there.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

He said it was a powerwise II in the original post not a power drive. Clarify which you have and what cart you have, so that we can make sure we're talking about the same things.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car