lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
mika7536
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1999 Club Car cuts out at full throttle

I have a 1999 Club Car with a 9.5 Kawasaki 4-cyl, OHV, 286cc, single cylinder air cooled motor. The governor is listed as: Automatic ground speed sensing, internally geared –in unitized transaxle. We are I believe, the second owners and we have had this cart for some 4 years now. We use it much like the previous owners did: around the house to haul dirt for the flower beds, garden tools, fire wood and such. We have taken advantage of the small non dumping bed attached to the rear of the cart where a passenger seat or golf clubs would otherwise be. We also take it for rides around our rural neighborhood, down the gravel roads and up some steeply graveled; or dirt roads. I keep the cart well maintained. At the end of Fall or the start of Spring, I change the oil and filter, check and or replace the air filter and fuel filters as required, check and/or add fluid to the differential, grease the wheel bearings and all the grease fittings.
Recently, it has begun to cut-out when the gas pedal is depressed to the floor while the cart is at full throttle. It rides fine up until that point. It does not cut out while the accelerator is fully depressed and going up-hill. Going down-hill with the accelerator fully depressed is not a good idea and has not been tried.
I have tried adjusting the cable where it connects to the “black box” but have not gone beyond that. I have managed to back off the acceleration but it continues to cut out when the accelerator is pressed to the floor, even at a reduced RPM. I have taken the carburetor off, disconnected the bowl, cleaned it out and ensured the float was not stuck. It runs and drives without any hint of a problem until the accelerator is pushed to the floor and it begins to surge or cut out with regularity. I have read previous posts referencing the rev limiter. While it seems like that could be the cause, I question it because it does not cut out at full throttle going up-hill. Just on a slight decline or on level ground. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Mike
mika7536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 Club Car cuts out at full throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika7536 View Post
I have a 1999 Club Car with a 9.5 Kawasaki 4-cyl, OHV, 286cc, single cylinder air cooled motor. The governor is listed as: Automatic ground speed sensing, internally geared –in unitized transaxle. We are I believe, the second owners and we have had this cart for some 4 years now. We use it much like the previous owners did: around the house to haul dirt for the flower beds, garden tools, fire wood and such. We have taken advantage of the small non dumping bed attached to the rear of the cart where a passenger seat or golf clubs would otherwise be. We also take it for rides around our rural neighborhood, down the gravel roads and up some steeply graveled; or dirt roads. I keep the cart well maintained. At the end of Fall or the start of Spring, I change the oil and filter, check and or replace the air filter and fuel filters as required, check and/or add fluid to the differential, grease the wheel bearings and all the grease fittings.
Recently, it has begun to cut-out when the gas pedal is depressed to the floor while the cart is at full throttle. It rides fine up until that point. It does not cut out while the accelerator is fully depressed and going up-hill. Going down-hill with the accelerator fully depressed is not a good idea and has not been tried.
I have tried adjusting the cable where it connects to the “black box” but have not gone beyond that. I have managed to back off the acceleration but it continues to cut out when the accelerator is pressed to the floor, even at a reduced RPM. I have taken the carburetor off, disconnected the bowl, cleaned it out and ensured the float was not stuck. It runs and drives without any hint of a problem until the accelerator is pushed to the floor and it begins to surge or cut out with regularity. I have read previous posts referencing the rev limiter. While it seems like that could be the cause, I question it because it does not cut out at full throttle going up-hill. Just on a slight decline or on level ground. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Mike
It sounds like the rpm limiter is going out Mike. Your surging issue certainly points to that. The cart will not hit the same rpm's going up hill as it would on the flat. Our golf course carts bear testimony to this; uphill or on the level they run fine but if you punch them on a downhill stretch the limiters kick in to slow them down. Try removing the ground wire from the limiter to test it out. It only takes a minute and will prove it one way or the other. You can replace the limiter easily enough but some of us have removed them and run using a tach to avoid over revving.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

First off... Welcome to BGW mika7536!
And thank you for being so "descriptive" with your post!

Chris, I'm going to have to agree... and disagree with you,
Yep, disconnecting the limiter ground wire is the perfect test to find out if that's the problem,

But, it sounds to me that the limiter is working correctly, and is doing it's job!
Maybe the governor arm may have slipped a little on the shaft,
or maybe it's something else (Gov. spring, throttle cable or bent throttle rod etc.) that could be causing the over revving?

Yes/No?
lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

it does sound like the limitor is working as it should but without being there to know for sure one just can,t know for sure...........if theres a way you can verify the rpm,.s when this happens that would answer that question......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:

Mike
Don, my reasoning was based on these statements. I recently had a cart in that would hit the limiter at approx 1000 rpm and according to the owner had progressively been getting worse over the last couple of months. I pulled the ground from the limiter and all was normal. I replaced the limiter (his Grandbabies use it all the time) and sent him on his happy way. Quite how the limiter can break down in this way is mysterious to say the least but given that the igniter/coil units display some peculiar behaviour I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I have Ohm'd a couple of used limiters and found some differences between them, more resistance = more rpm's. Good call on the linkage check, that would be a prudent thing to check.

Chris.

Last edited by invalidsession; 09-27-2011 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: To many "Chris's"
Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Yeah... I did see the "reduced rpm" statement, and wasn't sure of "how reduced"...
as for your previous experience with a bad limiter at 1000 rpm's... I stand corrected!

And Tom, another good call! .........................

lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
mika7536
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Many thanks to all of you; Chris, Don and Tom. You are very knowledgeable and I sincerely appreciate the interest you took in helping me solve my problem. In my original post when I had said it continues to cut out when the accelerator is pressed to the floor, even at a reduced RPM, I was referring to the adjustment I had made on the “black box” to slow the speed of the cart; but it continued to cut out even after that. In any event, I read with interest each of your posts and this is what I did: I disconnected the ground wire from the rev limiter and took it for a ride. It ran without cutting out. The RPMs did not seem to increase with the ground wire removed although it did run different. It ran fine until the home stretch. Then it began to hesitate some when floored; but not as sharply as with the ground wire connected. I re-connected the ground wire and it immediately began to cut-out as before. Before I made this Post, I scanned this forum for similar problems. What I found was rev limiter issues; but was not certain it was my issue as well. After your replies I am certain the rev limiter is the culprit. I said without the ground limiter it ran different. It did. While I did not notice an increase in RPMs, not really at least, I did notice it ran faster and by that I mean it was like driving a car with free-wheeling. When you take your foot off the gas an automobile would naturally begin to slow down because the transmission begins to slow the engine. That is what the rev limiter seemed to do; slow the cart when your foot was taken off the gas. With the rev limiter disconnected, the engine does not slow the cart when the gas pedal is released. It continues to run at the same speed until it eventually begins to slow on its own. I can see where this can be a safety issue. While tooling down the road and you come upon a curve and want to slow down, it can be alarming when you take your foot off the gas expecting the cart to slow and it doesn’t. Also, I can see the temptation to rev it up some since there is nothing to hold it back now; but I can also see the danger in that with increased RPMs and nothing in place to prevent the engine from over revving itself to pieces. I will look into replacing the rev limiter; but for now I will run it with the ground disconnected. It doesn’t get abused and I should be fine until I get a new rev limiter. As for the Governor spring and lever, the cart has a bed on the back of it and it must be removed for me to look directly at the governor. I had removed it once before to tighten the generator belt. It is a chore. I reached my hand up there and was able to feel the lever and the spring. They didn’t appear to be in any sort of bind. However, for me to check to see if the governor lever had slipped some on the throttle rod; or if the rod is bent, I will have to take the canopy and bed off the cart. I will do that; but not today. Thank you all again for your expert advice. I appreciate it very much.
Mike
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Mike im wonderng if when you adjusted the cable you over adjusted it or under adjusted it. You say it continues to run even with the rev limiter disconnected. Doesnt sound right. Mine has the rev hooked up, but i have the governor ziptied. My black box or the throtle controlle where its shanged from a rod to a cable is stock, not been toughed, and i have no problem. I tried the rev limiter disconnected, but just didnt lke it that way, so i hooked it back up.
So i wonder if you get the bed off, acess to the box and set it to factory spec after yuou get the new revlimiter, and see what you think. Or tell us fromt here what the problem is.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
mika7536
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No, it doesn’t continue to run with the rev limiter disconnected, it ran un-restricted with the rev limiter disconnected; but began to sputter after a while but not nearly as abruptly as it had before, more subtle. When I had adjusted the cable in the black box, which is easily accessed from under the seat, I did so carefully and after seeing no gain, I returned it to where it was before, more or less. In any event any adjustments I made to the cable going into the black box are minor. I have not adjusted the throttle control rod at all. I know where that is and what effect it could have. That remains un-touched. It is the governor and spring that are under the bed and are not easily accessible. I will take a look at that at a later date as I have to dismantle the canopy, supports and bed to get at the rear and/or top of the motor. With the rev limiter ground wire disconnected it does not cut out. I will keep it like that until I get a rev limiter to replace the one I have.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
No, it doesn’t continue to run with the rev limiter disconnected, it ran un-restricted with the rev limiter disconnected; but began to sputter after a while but not nearly as abruptly as it had before, more subtle. When I had adjusted the cable in the black box, which is easily accessed from under the seat, I did so carefully and after seeing no gain, I returned it to where it was before, more or less. In any event any adjustments I made to the cable going into the black box are minor. I have not adjusted the throttle control rod at all. I know where that is and what effect it could have. That remains un-touched. It is the governor and spring that are under the bed and are not easily accessible. I will take a look at that at a later date as I have to dismantle the canopy, supports and bed to get at the rear and/or top of the motor. With the rev limiter ground wire disconnected it does not cut out. I will keep it like that until I get a rev limiter to replace the one I have.
Mika, I have a couple of fully functional used limiters removed from de-restricted carts. If you can't find one cheap enough let me know.

Chris.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car