lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
woody
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Charging Issue 99 Club Car DS

Hello all. Newbie to the site and seeking some advice. I am experiencing an issue with my 99 Club Car and charging. I have read numerous posts that look familiar to my situation but am still in need of guidance.

I definitely caused my own problem here by neglecting to check water level in batteries for more than a year (yep, you heard it right). I wasn't aware of this important maintenance item. Needless to say, my battery light started coming on even after a charge. Finally, I learned about the water and added 2 gallons of distilled water to the 6 - 8v batteries. That seemed like a lot to me...probably all dry right? Anyway, the charger wouldn't engage due to low voltage (all batts were 7.42v) and the cart finally died. I individually charged each battery back to a little over 8v and the charger kicked in! Thought I dodged the expensive bullet of buying 6 new batts but my joy quickly turned to sorrow when the charger kicked off about 10 minutes in.

Now, I am not sure where to go with this. I suspect the batteries are toast but would love to try something else before spending +/- $ 600. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Charging Issue 99 Club Car DS

well if they charged than we know they will hold voltage.......you need to load test them and get a hydrometer and check each cell in each battery.......i suspect that if you needed 2 gallons of water that your batteries are more than likely shot......before you load test them and check the cells try and get them all charged up to 8 volts or better.......you can also either clean or replace the cables that won,t hurt at all........as your testing the batteries write down all your voltage #,s and readings from hydrometer.........most hydrometers will have a written scale on them that says charged- low -or discharged........and the actual readings need to be as close to each other or the same for all cells..............if you charge them and hydrometer says low or discharged than you might as well just buy another set of batteries........good luck......................and post readings and voltage.........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
woody
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the help. I'll pick up a hydro and check the reads.

I did realize that I forgot to charge the last 2 before my last test so I have them on now. I am using a 12v charger to charge each one set to slow charge and deep cycle....is this the correct way to do it? Charger is getting quite hot but its bringing up the voltage. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

don,t leave it on long.......1/2 hour should be enough............................
Old 06-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
woody
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update: I burnt up my 12v charger. You were right, I left it on for 2-3 hrs per batt and it finally gave out before I was done. I started "shopping" for new batts & got sticker shock. So, I called the guy I bought the cart from and he said he uses an old 6v charger in such circumstances. I went to Wal Mart, bought a 6/12v charger. Problem is it kicked off quickly as it sensed the batt was already over 6v. I called my father, who is an old farmer. He had an old 6v charger for the tractors. It lacked any "smart" circuitry. I charged each batt for 2 hrs and got them all up to 7.99 - 8.01. Hooked up the Club Car charger and it worked!

Quite happy now. Not sure if I did irrepairable damage to the batts but I am up and running for now. I sincerely appreciate the help and support. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum woody.......................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Woody don't think you are outta the woods yet! Get the hydrometer and check the specific gravity of each cell. Very likely you have at least one poor cell. This cell will weaken the battery & work the other batteries harder. It will also work the charger to death trying to get a full charge. And while the charger is busy working itself to death it will be cooking the remaining 'good' batteries because it is waiting for a 'good' total charge. Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
woody
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes, I thionk you are correct. Just checked the voltage and 4 are over 9v after charge, 2 are a little below (8.7-8.. Plus the charger isn't getting all the way back to zero after 8hrs of charging.

I will follow the advice, thank you. So, is it ok to change out one or two bad batteries with new ones?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

it all depends on the other batts condition, keep in mind if you put 2 new ones in the old ones will drag the new ones down to their level quickly................................
Old 06-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

As shadowman says, it is best if all the batteries are in the same condition. Within one tenth of a volt of each other. In the case of an older pack it may be best to search out a used battery in usable condition. You can go to a battery center or golf cart shop and ask about cores that may be a match for your set. BRING your meter. Good Luck.

PS:
Battery reading should be taken 45 minutes after the charge is complete. This allows the electrolytes to settle and gives a more true reading.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car