lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
shopdog39702
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default wondering about a handicap modification

Just wondering if anyone out there has made modifications for handicapped drivers? I lost my right leg back in 1981(on my birthday no less!!) and it is a pain driving with my left foot. I seem to remember seeing at one time J.C. Whitney selling an auxillary gas pedal that would let you use your left foot more easily. I think it just clampped to the original pedal and had a bar attached to another pedal to the left of the brake? Or is there a way to make a hand throttle?
At any rate are there others out there in cart-land that have to make the world fit them?
shopdog39702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: wondering about a handicap modification

There are hand grip throttles? What kind of cart do you have?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
shopdog39702
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

My personel cart is the 2005 series EZGO in my avatar(slightly modified )
Oh, and hey Scottyb, how's it going?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Never seen it done, so this is pure speculation.

I believe the brake pedal, arms and associated linkage would get in the way of the J.C. Whitney dual pedal trick.

If it is an ITS throttle, it might be possible to install a second complete throttle system on the left side of the brake. Then add a switch on the dash, or some convenient location, to switch from one to the other, allowing bipeds to drive the cart also.

Also, a linear actuator might be added to the existing throttle linkage and be controlled by hand or left foot.

I've still got both legs, but I recently got HC tags, so these thoughts have been wandering around in the back of my mind for future use.
John

Ooops. see that scottyb has already answered your question with real info rather than speculation.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
0517murphy
Redneck in Southside

Club Car

A few years ago, I installed hand controls on a 70 ford pickup for a friend with a spinal defect because he could not reach the pedals, he already had the controls but it was pretty simple ,they attached to the gas and brake pedals with a clamp system . bet that would work on a cart the same way. good luck.
0517murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

http://www.utvpartsandaccessories.co...d_controls.htm

I have personally installed this kit on 2 seperate carts.... works really well.... a little pricey, but then again, most personal mobility products are. I know in one case, the VA actually paid for the kit and install for the customer.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopdog39702 View Post
Just wondering if anyone out there has made modifications for handicapped drivers? I lost my right leg back in 1981(on my birthday no less!!) and it is a pain driving with my left foot. I seem to remember seeing at one time J.C. Whitney selling an auxillary gas pedal that would let you use your left foot more easily. I think it just clampped to the original pedal and had a bar attached to another pedal to the left of the brake? Or is there a way to make a hand throttle?
At any rate are there others out there in cart-land that have to make the world fit them?
wow, shop dog, you have built all these carts with one leg? you are a strong man, way to go.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
shopdog39702
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the kind words madoc1, and to the rest of you. Keep those ideas coming, I have a feeling that the more ideas I hear, the more likely I am to adapting the best of them into something I can build/use! I like the idea of an extra pedal because then when my wife or others use the cart it still has "normal" controls also, but other options aren't off the table!!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Shopdog, the kit I posted also allows for the "normal" operation of the pedals. In fact I reccomend when using that kit, that if you have the ability, you use the "normal" application of the brakes because I personally didn't like how "soft" the brakes felt when using the hand control.

I do have to second Madoc's quote however that you are truely a gifted person to be able to do the builds you have done while handicapped in that nature.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
shopdog39702
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I have to tell you guys that I never considered my self handicapped. I do have a prostetic leg and have worked the last 28 years in a machine shop! But I do have trouble walking long distances so I got into carts when I retired.
And I have always wished it had been the left leg, cause you really need that ankle motion when driving cars or carts! But overall I can't complain, it hurts sometimes and I have to do things MY WAY,which I don't mind! But still haven't found anything I can't do(at least nothing I want to do)
I do thank you for the kind words though

Tags
ezgo, general b.s., members rides
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO