lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
NGOTB
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default '87 Model - 5th Solenoid Burning Wire

Bought my first cart 2 weeks ago. Took lots of advice from BGW. Awesome site! Jacked it up and got all five clicks on solenoids. Had to replace batteries and went to 4 gauge cable throughout. I'm in the process of breaking the batts in just like everybody has advised. Last trip out, the last solenoid melted about 3 inches of the new 4 ga wire. All connections are clean and tight. I did notice the wire spinning just a hair on the F/R switch when moved back and forth. Should I have upgraded this too or am I overlooking something?
NGOTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: '87 Model - 5th Solenoid Burning Wire

Did the wire melt near a connection or out in open? Normally wiring burns insulation off near where a LOOSE CONNECTION is located, OR in the case of old wiring where high resistance is located normally from battery acid damage? Did you make up your own wiring and is it 4 guage multi stranded welding cable with high count strands OR did you purchase a kit?
The 2 wire connections on back of F&R are able to turn because otherwise the wires would break from twisting.
Question is your cart stock or does it have larger tires, lift kit, extra seat, motor upgrade, etc as this puts more load on batterys and all parts connected with them?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 2 center connections are made to swivel on the CC F&R. Use two wrenches, one above and one below the cable to tighten the connection.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
NGOTB
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Below is a picture of that last solenoid. Looks like it got a little hot! I'm gonna assume for now that the connection wasn't tight. Should I replace it with a stock unit or an aftermarket one? The numbers on the solenoid are Club Car P6E 2 B1 - 0008016. The motor is the stock 2hp. I did make the wires myself. 4 ga high strand battery cables with copper ends. Good point on the spinning connections on the f/r switch. Makes perfect sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid.jpg (44.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
NGOTB
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Having trouble posting this pic to my profile, but here's my new baby!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf Cart.jpg (155.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

From picture ( NICE CART ) it either had loose connection or MORE possibly was already burning connection at solenoid before you changed cables and 4 guage allowed more flow finishing contact off? I would replace the solenoid with a HEAVY DUTY AMERICAN OR MEXICAN MADE WHITE ROGERS UNIT ( IF YOU CAN FIND ONE, "NO CHINESE JUNK" ) because you have a lifted cart with large tires, top and windshield that put a VERY HEAVY LOAD ON any resistor cart parts.
I would look at replacing the whole speed control system when you can afford it with a Curtis PB-6 pedal control, Alltrax solid state controller, HD Solenoid, HD F&R switch and possibly switch from 36 volts to 6-8 volt batterys to make 48 volts? If you are going to use cart for hunting etc I would think about conversion soon before the other 4 solenoids go bad, and possibly some of the resistors? Its common to have to change all 5 soelnoids every couple of years depending on use.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Its common to have to change all 5 soelnoids every couple of years depending on use.
Quoted for Effect......

I couldn't agree more. What he says applies to stock applications. You have a decidedly non stock application..... you are gonna burn through solenoids like crazy unless you upgrade those to HD units or do a complete changover to a solid state system.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car