lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
StixNC
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default $100. for 1985 EZGO-Good or Bad Deal?

I bought my 85 EZGO the other day for $100. Great condition considering age. Will post pics soon. Roof, fully enclosed wrap windshield. Problem is it has 2 year old trojans that are completely dry of water but no corrosion at all. Still has the red oil on posts just like new. Also the charger doesn't work. I put the batteries from my 98 in and I know it runs but when I hooked up the charger it wouldn't kick on. So question is, is it worth buying new batteries and charger for this year model? Can the batteries and charger be reconditioned? Or did I just waste $100. and my time? Thanks
StixNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: $100. for 1985 EZGO-Good or Bad Deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StixNC View Post
I bought my 85 EZGO the other day for $100. Great condition considering age. Will post pics soon. Roof, fully enclosed wrap windshield. Problem is it has 2 year old trojans that are completely dry of water but no corrosion at all. Still has the red oil on posts just like new. Also the charger doesn't work. I put the batteries from my 98 in and I know it runs but when I hooked up the charger it wouldn't kick on. So question is, is it worth buying new batteries and charger for this year model? Can the batteries and charger be reconditioned? Or did I just waste $100. and my time? Thanks
Carts well worth the money. The charger can most likely be fixed. The batteries are kissed.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: $100. for 1985 EZGO-Good or Bad Deal?

If the batteries are dry and don't function, the charger would not come on, regardless. You won't know about the charger unless you test it with good batteries.
You can always sell them and get back your money back. No problem.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
gaston
Gone Wild

StixNC, there's a chance that the charger you mentioned in your other thread does not come ON due to battery low voltage. Battery pack has to be over 30v to make the electronics kick ON inside charger.
If you have another 36v cart (or a 48v will do the job but using only 5 batteries) simply jump both battery packs in parallel this way:
Identify main 36v POSITIVE cart 1 and jump it with main 36v POS cart 2 and vice versa for NEG.
You need to have the Total Charge III charger plugged to the cart and it should come on as it will be sensing the voltage from the other pack. Once it turned ON, remove the jumper cables.
If still does not come on then you have to go trough charger troubleshooting.
There's a thread that will apply for you on this: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-electric.html

If you have the jumper cables but your other cart is 48v, let me know, you can still do the jumper but need further explanation.
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like me jumping the tractor from 12v of the 36 pack...I revive a dead battery with a good battery, jumpers cables and a charger. Sometimes it will work.! That's a good trick.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #6
gaston
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyton View Post
Sounds like me jumping the tractor from 12v of the 36 pack...I revive a dead battery with a good battery, jumpers cables and a charger. Sometimes it will work.! That's a good trick.

Found to be the shortest way to trick on the charger without going to the whole thing of opening, jumping, testing, and all that chit.

I do used my wife's cart to jump 12v to other vehicles... LOL, the best part is people's face when they see ALL the 8 batteries under the seat
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
StixNC
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
StixNC, there's a chance that the charger you mentioned in your other thread does not come ON due to battery low voltage. Battery pack has to be over 30v to make the electronics kick ON inside charger.
If you have another 36v cart (or a 48v will do the job but using only 5 batteries) simply jump both battery packs in parallel this way:
Identify main 36v POSITIVE cart 1 and jump it with main 36v POS cart 2 and vice versa for NEG.
You need to have the Total Charge III charger plugged to the cart and it should come on as it will be sensing the voltage from the other pack. Once it turned ON, remove the jumper cables.
If still does not come on then you have to go trough charger troubleshooting.
There's a thread that will apply for you on this: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-electric.html

If you have the jumper cables but your other cart is 48v, let me know, you can still do the jumper but need further explanation.
Thanks, thats some great information, I will try it.
StixNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
mickkell
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I think it was a good deal,if nothing else you got a S/load of spare parts.How are the tires?Theres a saw buck right there.
mickkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You could list the top and supports on Craigslist and get $100. Take the batteries to a scrap yard and get $40. Scrap the steel and get another $40. Keep whatever parts you want or list them and ....well.... I think you got a great deal. Lets see the Pics.
iaefebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO