lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
duprec
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Unhappy G1 very sluggish

I recently picked up a g1 electric cart for the local golf course and it was preforming fine until a week ago. It will roll fine till about 50 yards and gets very sluggish to the point where it is barely moving. If it sits a couple minutes it will do the same. This is what I checked so for:

-Batteries are alittle over a year old and old are showing 6.5 volts (checked individually)
-All cables were changed with batteries and were cleaned along with battery posts
-Changed 2 cables that were questionable going to motor and solinoid.

Now I need some direction into troubleshooting the speed controller and resistor coil or ....can there be another problem. I hope its not much because not what to dump a bunch of money into old cart. Thanks for any direction in advance.

Clint
duprec is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: G1 very sluggish

Hello duprec and Welcome to the forum.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #3
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: G1 very sluggish

Quote:
Originally Posted by duprec View Post
I recently picked up a g1 electric cart for the local golf course and it was preforming fine until a week ago. It will roll fine till about 50 yards and gets very sluggish to the point where it is barely moving. If it sits a couple minutes it will do the same. This is what I checked so for:

-Batteries are alittle over a year old and old are showing 6.5 volts (checked individually)
-All cables were changed with batteries and were cleaned along with battery posts
-Changed 2 cables that were questionable going to motor and solinoid.

Now I need some direction into troubleshooting the speed controller and resistor coil or ....can there be another problem. I hope its not much because not what to dump a bunch of money into old cart. Thanks for any direction in advance.

Clint
Welcome duprec, G1's are old carts, but bullet proof. Someone will be along soon enough to answer your question. Good Luck. Enjoy the forum.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
duprec
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I checked the voltage out of speed controller and it was fine, the voltage to the motor is fine. The cart seems to run fine when the tires are lifted off off ground. After running cart about 30 yards it felt like it lost all power and the voltage to motor was still good but the motor was smoking alittle and was alittle hot. What do you guys think?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Just a guess, sounds like the motor brushes are not making good contact.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
duprec
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah that’s I was thinking so I pulled the plastic covers by the brushes and there was a lot of black dust and some metal pieces fall out. I pushed the accelerator and I could see sparks in the motor so I figured that was the problem and I was not going to put more money into that cart. I had a friend that needed a couple parts so I gave him what he needed an I will use his cart at the course. The rest of my junk is sitting in a salvage yard. (RIP)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha