lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default DPI Charger and Battery Issues?

Sad to report that I let my batteries get low enough on water to expose the plates in almost every cell on my 4 year old Crown batteries...

Noticed that my DPI charger was not down to its float amps, and on checking I find that my batteries are not only extremely hot they are very dry. After correcting the water levels I plugged back into the charger and let it charge for a while. The voltage climbed to 57.2 (expected 59) and then started falling to 56.3 but all the while the amps hovered in the 11 to 12 amp range. And I became worried as all the batteries were fairly warm/hot with two of them being uncomfortably hot. So I decided to stop everything and start again in the morning.

Next morning the batteries are cool and the voltage is 50.9 to which I checked the specific gravity and found ALL cells in the 1.27 to 1.30 range which is considered good. Took the cart out for 2 mile hilly ride and I'm noticing that my voltage is sagging a little bit more than previously known to drop but not falling below 42 volts on climbing our biggest hills. BTW I started noticing voltage sag about a year ago but the cart has always performed and never let us down so I considered it acceptable for 3 year old batteries.

Plug back into the charger and let things go for several hours to which the voltage climbs and the amps are falling pretty much as expected but the volts never rose above 58.5 and the amps never fell below 6.5 and I'm noticing that the 2 batteries that got the hottest were again getting pretty warm down towards the very bottom. So I'm concerned.

I figure that while my batteries have been deeply hurt they still seem viable but they just will not reach the 58.8 voltage called for by MODE 4 anymore. So I switched back to MODE 2 or 56.4 volts and let things charge for a while expecting that the charger should go into float mode, and while it did drop to 4.5 amps the volts climbed to 57.3 and the charger never switched over to float.

So I'm wondering if the control board is perhaps failing and allowing the batteries to be over charged? As after nearly 2 hours my batteries are @ 9.59, 9.67, 9.57, 9.3, 9.86 & 9.35 = 57.3 volts. Shouldn't the charger done switched over to float soon after 56.4 volts?

Not trusting the charger and running out of home time I instructed the wife to use cart until the voltage drops below 50 volts standing and then charge for 4 hours till I come home in for 4 weeks.

But then again if it were the charger would it be causing all the batteries to get hot? As while they are getting a little warm its just the two in the middle that I can feel getting hot on the bottom...

Thinking about getting a small float charger and trying to nurse another year out of these Crown batteries...

Ramble and rant mode off....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car