lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
PFSauve
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1993 Marathon charging stops at 30 minutes

Hello,
We recently acquired a EzGo golf cart that belonged to my in-laws in Florida. I just looked up the serial number on the EZGO site yesterday, and it is a 1993 Electric 4 wheel Marathon. It is a two seater. It has been working fine for a while, but recently when we try to charge it the charger counts to 30 minutes, and then stops.
We don't have a manual, and can't seem to find one online. Is there any way to find an owner's manual or part of one for a 1993 Ezgo online, or do I have to shell out the $60+ to buy one?

I also have seen some things on this forum and elsewhere about watering your batteries? Is this true of all Electric ezgo carts? How do I get to the batteries? I really appreciate any help you all can give as we don't have an Ezgo dealer/service center nearby, and can't afford a lot for repairs!

Thank you!
Paul
PFSauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1993 Marathon charging stops at 30 minutes

The batteries are under your seat. There should be a strap in the middle on the back of your seat. Just pull up on it and the seat should lift up. Only use distilled water in your batteries. Tap water could damage them. Be careful taking the fill tops off the batteries. There is acid present and you don't want to get it in your eyes. Once the top is off look inside. If the lead plates are exposed you need water. Do not fill to the rim. Most batteries fill holes extend down into the battery an inch or two. Only fill to the bottom of them.

Check all battery wires and connections to make sure they are clean and tight. Loose wires could be why the charger is kicking off too soon.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
rib33024

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes just fill to 1/8 of an inch or so over lead plates, check your cable ends and battery connections make sure all is clean and tight, what brand batteries ?..............................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
PFSauve
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for the quick responses! I just checked the batteries and it looks like all of them have sufficient water over the plates. There are 6 batteries, they are the Trojan brand. All of them have the date 11-17-06 written on the top with black marker. I assume that is how old they are. The three on the driver's side have varied amounts of corrosion around the connections, particularly the one nearest the switches and charging inlet. I will try and clean those and see if it helps. The other three batteries look fairly clean.

Thanks again! I will let you know how it goes after I clean the batteries.

~Paul

Edit: While cleaning one of the worst connections the connector loop on the end of the battery cable actually broke off, so I will definitely at least need a replacement for a 9-10 inch long battery connector cable....

Drat! It looks like we are going to need at least one new battery, plus the cable already mentioned, and a cable that connects to the ignition. Off to try and find a place reasonably close to Lapeer, MI!
PFSauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Odds are if one cable was that bad the rest are not too far behind. I would replace all the cables as soon as possible.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1993, battery, charging problem, electric, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO