lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Not so EZGO
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine turns over but won't start.......Rebuild?

I just bought my first cart. It's a 2001 EZGO with a 295cc in it. The engine will turn over but not crank. It is covered with so much oil that I can't tell where it's coming from. Some where on the front from what I can tell. I checked the compression and I have around 150 on one side and 45 on the other. I am thinking head gasket but then again that's why I'm here. I don't know. The cart was running last week but when it stopped I bought it cheap from them.
Not so EZGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Not so EZGO
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Engine turns over but won't start.......Rebuild?

I forgot...........They did run it low on oil and it looks like it got very hot. (some plastic parts are deformed from the heat). That's why I'm leaning towards head gasket
Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

head gaskets don't blow out on those engines, you need to clean it up and find the oil leak is first. the bad compression maybe from the valves being out of adjustment, but more than likely the low oil and over heating smoked the rings and rebuilding or replacing the engine is were your at.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Not so EZGO
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info.......I just pulled the motor and when I took the timing belt cover off, the belt came out in shreds. That would explain the lack of compression because the valves were open all the time on one side. Still haven't found the oil leak. I noticed that the camshaft seal was pressed all the way into the head....Isn't it suposed to sit flush?

Also, where's the cheapest place to buy a timing belt online?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so EZGO View Post
Thanks for the info.......I just pulled the motor and when I took the timing belt cover off, the belt came out in shreds. That would explain the lack of compression because the valves were open all the time on one side. Still haven't found the oil leak. I noticed that the camshaft seal was pressed all the way into the head....Isn't it suposed to sit flush?

Also, where's the cheapest place to buy a timing belt online?
i would want to know why the belt went bad to start with maybe it was one of those cheapest timing belts online.
sorry, but the cheapest parts i can buy thing gets old.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
EZ-GOnewild
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

BGW has over a dozen sponsers that would be happy to help you out with a new belt. Look for the "Site Sponsers" at the top of the page.
EZ-GOnewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Not so EZGO
Not Yet Wild

I believe I was misunderstood. I don't want cheap as in generic. I want cheap as in original equipment that hasn't been bought and sold three times through 2-bit retailers online. I am new to this and don't know anyone that sells parts, but by no means am I willing to sacrifice quality.
I think the camshaft seal is leaking oil by being pressed in too far. If that's the case, the oil could have made the belt slip and grind the teeth off. The majority of the belt, (what was left of it), was wrapped around the balancer shaft pully.

Thanks EZ-GONEWILD, that pic looks just like mine. I was wondering what kind I had.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
EZ-GOnewild
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The girl or the cart?

EZ-GOnewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-GOnewild View Post
The girl or the cart?

She.........was......hotter than a three dollar pistol, fastest thing around........
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
Not so EZGO
Not Yet Wild

I have a 440cc rotax 115 H.P. experimental aircraft engine that I am thinking of dropping in it. Does anybody know what horsepower the rear axles of these things are rated for? It would be a farely easy fit. I would just have to figure out a radiator mount for it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO