lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
8-point
Gone Fishing

Club Car

Default The new DPI experience

OK I'm guilty... of not researching anything on the newest DPI charger, the GEN lV, before getting one. As soon as my OBC when out, I hit the ol' "Place Order" button. So now it is what is! Let's also just say I was just assuming my new DPI was going to be the same one I had heard so much about (the GEN lll with the float charge). Looking back now (finally but too late) at the posts on this same subject, I see several people can be classified as being sort of in my shoes. I am not an expert by no means but this charger may best suit people that ride often with no storage time or down time to amount to anything. I am the total opposite. Lets just say I am the ultimate float charger candidate. I just don't know about allowing a charger to wait 45 days while the "batteries float" (whatever that's supposed to mean) before it initiates another charge. Solutions I guess would be to manually initiate charges on a more frequent basis or purchase a separate float charger to switch over to after the DPI completes its charge, if you know it will be a while before you ride again.
So, does anyone have any suggestions and/or good experiences on float type chargers to use in conjunction with the main charger?
8-point is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: The new DPI experience

It only waits 45 days for the maintenance cycle (wakes up and fully charges and cuts back off) but if the pack drops below 90% it will initiate a charge on its own and at any time....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
8-point
Gone Fishing

Club Car

Thanks Nole, I failed to see anything about 90% being the point where it initiates a charge other than 45 days. When I called DPI the guy kind of fumbled around a bit with the question then sounded like he said 48 volts. I also thought I saw that number on a previous post. And that was hard to swallow. So I felt like the 48 volt start up would never be in the equation. 90% (50.47) is hugely different. It should be down to 90% in a few days, so I'll see.
8-point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That is the info they gave me when we purchased one for a friend a while back and the Gen III's were no longer available. They also told me you could set it up for Maintenance Mode or for Float, and I believe I read it in the manual, BUT, I am not a proponent of trickle chargers unless you are riding them frequently and thus recharging them, as they will start to degrade the plates over time.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car