lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
kidkarr
Not Yet Wild

Default Workhorse valve cover leak

Hello All, I am a long time "lurker" but don't post often. I have a 03 Workhorse 1200 with the 350 Robin engine. I had a pretty solid oil leak on the pass side crankcase cover that I recently fixed (new gasket and seals on that side of motor). Since then, I am having a fair amount of oil on the top of motor and valve cover. I ran it in neutral after cleaning the motor and the leak seemed to be from the valve cover and maybe even fill cap. Both gaskets looked good (valve cover and the o ring on the fill cap) but I replaced them anyway. I am still having a little seepage from valve cover. It seems as if it will not seal with the 6 bolts. the corners are pulled tight where the bolts are on the motor but in-between I can see that the valve cover is not touching the motor fully (like a very small rainbow) Could I have overtightened the bolts (My torque wrench will not go to as low as the 5 lbs it requires)?

Do I need to look into a aluminum valve cover? Can the plastic covers warp. The cart has low hours (570) and is pretty clean overall.

Thanks in advance.
J
kidkarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse valve cover leak

Can you pull the cover and check the mating surface for flatness.. Then check the cover as well. I always follow the tightening sequence and put them back to torque spec. Amazon a proper torque wrench. Is you pcv valve working correctly? Do you get oil in the air box? Is the cart lifted? If so there should be no more than 1.5 qts. Of oil in the engine
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
kidkarr
Not Yet Wild

I did check the mating surface and it was clean and smooth. My cart is lifted, and I only put 1.5 quarts in it and made a notation of where the new "full" mark should be. The pcv valve seems to be in proper working order as there is no oil on my air filter. Do I need to check the hose prior to the filter to look for oil? I will get a smaller torque wrench, but could over tightening be the cause for a leak form valve cover?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Over tightening can be as big a culprit as not tightening enough, yes. If You crank the bolts too tight, they will deform the cover (being as it's only plastic) and cause seepage or leaks.

I had an older TXT with the 295 that was a bear to keep from leaking, never did figure out exactly why. To solve it if I remember I used some RTV as well as the gasket, but I ended up having to do it twice before it completely sealed.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #5
kidkarr
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Has anyone tried the billet alluminum one off eBay or other sites?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I would imagine that as long as the sealing surface of the head is flat and true then you'd have a good seal on the billet cover, and it would look nice too.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

There are cheaper ones, but this will give you the idea.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fe...XTUaAngB8P8HAQ
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Or if your cover is no longer true... Order a new one 😥
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO