lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default gx390 crank thread adapter questions/help

im doing a swap and the thread in the honda gx390 ive read is either 3/8 fine,or 5/16 fine thread?..i this enough meat to tighten down my stock ezgo clutch?
jeez id hate to break the darn bolt in the crank?
or should i drill and tap the crank for the stock ezgo marathon bolt since im using the stock clutch? thanks
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
GreyGoose
Not Yet Wild

Gx390 is 3/8 fine thread. I had a hard time tracking 1 down for mine.
GreyGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: gx390 crank thread adapter questions/help

thanks goose! i have a few bins of about very bolt i could ever need but the only thing that seems to go is a 3/8 coarse bolt,but its loose..i guess i will try the fine thread with a wrench but it only seems to go in a 1/8th by hand and no further..i thought i had strong fingers at one time
did you use the 3/8 bolt for your clutch? if so any idea of the torque?since the adapter is like a crush sleeve id think it needs to be real tight?

my split sleeve adapter; i hate to waste money as i can have my adapter machined again but i need to know if cpp taper adapter will seat flush in the back of my clutch,as thats where it needs to be for me?the one i have now wont go in far enough and needs machined.but i will see what it will cost local first
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
GreyGoose
Not Yet Wild

This is as far as I could get mine I cut the spacer down to about 3/8. Then slide the taper adapter from CPP on the shaft as far as torque on the bolt I just got it tight with a 3/8 ratchet probally in the neighborhood of 60ft/lbs but I didn't check it with a torque wrench. It pulls great without slippage I have been keeping a eye on it and checking it with a wrench every so often. So far so good.
GreyGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

I re-drilled and tapped mine for 1/2" fine thread from the stock ezgo clutch I used, I didn't trust the stock 3/8ths
madscientistmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks goose the pic helps a lot..i wont need a spacer and i hope i can get my adapter re machined to fit in further so it dont stick out at all on my motor..if i can get mine flush in the hole it will be against the machined surface of the crank and 1/8th inch away from the block..and what i need

mad mike,i feel the same,,im no newbie to drill and tap and have the tools i just was worried about how hard the crank is?its prob a lot softer steel than im thinking..did you do it with the crank in the motor?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

Crank isn't too hard, did it with the crank in the motor pretty easily with a cordless drill
madscientistmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks everyone..i used a cordless drill and a 1/2 drive extention i cut down,a socket that was a hair bigger than the sleeve,and held the drill at the angle to my 6inch disc/belt sander with it on also,and after 8 or so tests i got it fitting very nice
i wish i would have went a lil bit more now but it will work out fine i think..
went to lowes and got a 6 inch 3/8 coarse thread bolt,,yes,COARSE THREAD..
after some measuring i realized the previous engine builder machined the crank to 7/8 and made the sleeve to fit the shaft for the ezgo,,so i decided not to tap it to 1/2 as to weaken the meat area..
i seemed to get it tightened up real good,after a couple wacks with a rubber mallet to seat it a lil before tightening..not sure if it was a good idea but did it anyhow
clutch is on and researching now to see if i can use rem oil on the sheeves and rollers inside the clutch where they seem to need a lil lubricant imo."where the pins go thru".it all cleaned up nice too..

Old 03-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Looks good! I think the stock G9 is a 3/8 fine thread and I made the clone the same, not sure what it was before that. The CPP adapter goes in almost all the way, it does work like a collet. You usually do not have to tighten the bolt that hard, the taper is a low angle it will hold nicely they can be fun to remove lol. I used no spacer behind mine there is a larger shoulder on the crank about 1/2" out from the block anyway.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

no spacer here either..i wish it went another 1/4 inch but im gonna leave it..everything i read says its 3/8 fine thread but the po must have tapped it different when he cut the crank and tapped it i suppose..
you no how this stuff goes..while running this one i will always be looking for a sweet deal or trade on a bigger one

can i lightly oil the sheave and rollers with rem oil and wipe clean before assembly?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps