lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
oakridge
Not Yet Wild

Default G14 motor problem?

I have a yamaha G14 golf cart that I have been working on. The cart sat for a little while and was not used. I brought it home and put 4 gauge wires all the way to the motor, new batteries. This thing acts like it strains at start up on a hill. Kinda sounds like the motor is slipping. If you get the cart in a bind, The motor sounds like there is a slipping on the inside of the casing. If you keep pressing the pedal the motor gets hot along with the wires on the motor all the way to the F/R switch but the battery wires are still cool. Is this a sign that the motor is going bad? On flat ground it runs good. Just screws up on good load or pull. First golf cart I ever got and don't know much about them so it's really throwing me for a loop.
oakridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: G14 motor problem?

Welcome to BGW

If the motor is getting real hot then it could have a short. It's possible it could slip, theres a splined shaft there....sounds like you need to pull it and inspect it. You can use a volt meter to check for shorts between the terminals and housing or armature and field.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
oakridge
Not Yet Wild

Ok how would I go about testing the motor that way. I'm one of those dumb Rednecks. You may have to spell things out for me LOL
Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Take the volt meter and put it on continuity. Check for continuity between the A terminals and the S terminals. The A's are a pair so they will between themselves, same for the S's. Then check for continuity between the terminals and the motor housing. If you got continuity then you have a short. If you suspect it's slipping then the motor will have to come off. Either the motor coupler will strip or the input shaft, or both.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
oakridge
Not Yet Wild

Do I need to unhook the wires to test? The continuity on a meter is the beep right? If you touch the 2 probes you get the beep sound? Or am I wrong.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

It would be better to unhook the wires yes. Use 2 wrenches so you don't twist a lug off. Yes, it'll beep for continuity.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
oakridge
Not Yet Wild

I took the whole motor off.Running a to a and s to s I get the beep but not by crossing. So what else could be wrong?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Did you try the terminals to housing? What does the splines look like?

A to A and S to S will have continuity, nothing wrong there.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
oakridge
Not Yet Wild

Nothing terminal to case. Splines look good. The only concern I see would be light rust on the armature I guess is what it's called. The piece in the middle. also a little on the parts that wrap around it. Now that may be my problem. Not getting the full power. Now my question is, How do you take that apart to clean it? That is a strong magnet. I had a problem with my trim motor on the boat doing kinda the same thing until it quit. I took it apart and cleaned it with a wire brush and brake clean and works like new now. Can I do the same thing to this?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
EZGO-MY-WALLET2
Gone Wild

not taking away from your thread, but are you in Tn ?
EZGO-MY-WALLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha