lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car engine install/clone engine help

Ryaned82, what year is that cart? Reason I ask is because of the rotation issue with club cars 97 and newer. I'd like to swap in an engine into both my carts, a 90 & 99.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
ryaned82
Not Yet Wild

Well, I'm hoping and am pretty sure it is low to mid 90's but I won't find out entirely until later this week when I pick it up. So, while I'm not 100% sure its older than 97' when some changes were made I'm pretty sure it probably is due to the look of the body style. I know this sounds crazy, but I haven't even seen it in person yet. The price was right, so I pulled the trigger on it. Hopefully, made a good decision!

Do you know what can be done if it winds up being a 97 or newer?

Also, what do you think about this Honda engine I found on ebay versus the clones I have listed as potential choices for this cart?

**16hp Honda V-twin OHC**
1" x 3-1/8" tapped shaft.
Cast iron cylinder sleeve
Meets EPA Phase 2 and CARB Tier 2 emission levels
Low noise operation with timing belt
Electric start w/ 12amp alternator, fuel pump.
Great for most riding lawn mowers.
3 year warranty
Model GXV530-EXA2.
90 lbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda.jpg (13.9 KB, 3 views)
ryaned82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
wrenflyer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaned82 View Post
Well, I'm hoping and am pretty sure it is low to mid 90's but I won't find out entirely until later this week when I pick it up. So, while I'm not 100% sure its older than 97' when some changes were made I'm pretty sure it probably is due to the look of the body style. I know this sounds crazy, but I haven't even seen it in person yet. The price was right, so I pulled the trigger on it. Hopefully, made a good decision!

Do you know what can be done if it winds up being a 97 or newer?

Also, what do you think about this Honda engine I found on ebay versus the clones I have listed as potential choices for this cart?

**16hp Honda V-twin OHC**
1" x 3-1/8" tapped shaft.
Cast iron cylinder sleeve
Meets EPA Phase 2 and CARB Tier 2 emission levels
Low noise operation with timing belt
Electric start w/ 12amp alternator, fuel pump.
Great for most riding lawn mowers.
3 year warranty
Model GXV530-EXA2.
90 lbs
That's a vertical shaft engine, not suitable for a cart.
wrenflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

go to harbour freight on gilbert and southern and just order/buy one from them with a warranty. That way when you blow it up you can get it replaced.
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
ryaned82
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car engine install/clone engine help

I might end up doing that, but for the same price plus a little shipping I can get the 16 hp clone from Maxtool. The problem with Harborfreight is they don't carry the 16 hp, only the 13 hp. Unless there is another type of store locally here in the Valley that carries these 16 hp clone engines. I'll have to do some digging on that.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
ryaned82
Not Yet Wild

Okay I may be in some trouble here. I just discovered the cart is indeed newer than a 1998. I'm going to have to start researching this now, but if anybody can tell me what my options are that would be great.

I may want to go with a 24 hp Briggs and Stratton instead. What rotation issues may I have, and what can I do to get around this potential problem?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You have a couple of options.... The cart will run in reverse to go forward. The gearing for reverse is much lower than the forward gearing SO, it will be all reved up at a low speed forward and running like a raped ape in reverse I did it once.... never again. Some buy taller gears to improve the ratio of the forward movement...... of course this makes reverse worse in MHO.... You can sell it & look for a different project.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
04retro
Not Yet Wild

so doing an engine swap is not a good idea in a 97 ... newer cc?? I ask cause I'm looking for a project cart what about ez go or yamaha do they have different rotation for different years???
04retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #19
miferrel
Gone Crazy

Club Car

You could use a FE400 in the 97 and up CC.
miferrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
ryaned82
Not Yet Wild

What about changing out the backend? Can't I just change out the backend that's compatible with the width for a Club Car before they changed rotation? Or even put in an EZ Go backend on it? Ideas here...I'm not bailing on this project and putting in the Kawasaki FE400 is out of the question at least for now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car