lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Mikey348
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo series cart. No power to key

I have a 2003 txt series cart that just quit working. I have full batteries and have checked for solenoid activation by jumping it. I have power to both forward and reverse micro switches and even jumped the reed switch plus changed peddle switch just to make sure. All to no avail. What am I missing? Why is there nothing at the key switch?

Ps. Thanks in advance for all your knowledge. I have learned a lot from this site but at the moment I am brain farting all over the place.
Mikey348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo series cart. No power to key

well it could be a bad key switch.....

when you turn it on....and try to GO, when you push on the pedal, does the solenoid CLICK?

oh an btw.....Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Mikey348
Not Yet Wild

I get nothing. I tested the wires with a voltmeter on the key switch. No power getting to it. Thank for the welcome and response.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well if you are getting nothing on both sides of the switch with it in the ON position....seems like a bad switch......but to be absolutely sure, do a continuity check with the switch ON.

so since you didn't say....the solenoid does NOT click when you push on the pedal, correct?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just to clarify, How exactly are you checking for voltage at the key switch? Are you putting your probes on the two wires at the key switch, or are you putting the negative probe on the battery pack negative and positive probe on the key switch wires?
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Mikey348
Not Yet Wild

No click from the solenoid. I checked with both wires on the wires on back of switch. Key on and key off as well as neg probe on battery and positive on switch.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey348 View Post
No click from the solenoid. I checked with both wires on the wires on back of switch. Key on and key off as well as neg probe on battery and positive on switch.
well that seem to say that you have a bad key switch.

the fact that your solenoid does NOT click (activate) you do in fact have an issue within the activation circuit, which the key switch is part of.

here is a wiring diagram with the activation circuit highlighted.

Wiring Diagram Series with Solenoid Activation Traced.JPG
Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #8
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
well that seem to say that you have a bad key switch.

the fact that your solenoid does NOT click (activate) you do in fact have an issue within the activation circuit, which the key switch is part of.

here is a wiring diagram with the activation circuit highlighted.

Attachment 102053
Even with a bad key switch he should still have power on one side of the switch which leads me to believe it is something else. Follow the diagram that Sir Nuke posted and you should be able to narrow it down fairly easily.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatlock00 View Post
Even with a bad key switch he should still have power on one side of the switch which leads me to believe it is something else. Follow the diagram that Sir Nuke posted and you should be able to narrow it down fairly easily.
that's why I ask if he did a continuity check of the switch...., if you have continuity....it could be as simple as a single broken wire between the switch and either the BLUE wire which goes to the MS2 micro-switch on the F&R or the GREEN wire which goes to the pedal box.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's right just to clarify check for 36v + at the F&R micro switch (MS)closest to the battery pack, check the MS for operation = power in and out when activated. This will bring power to the key.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO