lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
krhonn
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 carb flooding?!

My cart has a new cylinder and top end, also new fuel pump and carb. Cart will not run. I stick my hand over the carb and it seems that my hand is covered in fuel in no time. I pull the plug and it's very wet. I have spark as well. Change plugs and wants to fire for a second but that's as far as I get. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
krhonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Default Re: 88 carb flooding?!

Could the piston be installed backwards? Are the reeds in good shape?
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
krhonn
Not Yet Wild

I guess it could be possible that the piston is in backwards but I doubt it. I'm not sure about the reeds. Where are the reeds located? A pic would be nice if you have one.
Cart started this morning with my hand 3/4 over the carb. I have the cart on stands so I let it run for a minute or two. Let off the gas and had everything come to a stop. Hit the gas again and received a slight backfire then it started. Went out an hour or so later to see if it was luck and it must have been because it wouldn't start again. A lot of fuel on my hand once again. Thanks for the info so far!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You can check by removing the exhaust pipe and the spark plug. Now wing the engine over by hand and look into the port. If you see a port in the piston then, sadly, you have the piston in backwards.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhonn View Post
I stick my hand over the carb and it seems that my hand is covered in fuel in no time.
Two things this makes me think of are:

1 - Is the oil injection removed? If so, is the hole where the banjo bolt from the oil tank plugged with another bolt? Although the plug may look wet, you could be getting too much air in there, and have fuel coming through the hole.

2 - Is the float in the fuel bell hooked up correctly? The pin for the float can fall out pretty easily during assembly, leaving the float not shutting off the fuel inflow. When this happens, the cart will run for a bit until the bell overflows, and releaves excess fuel through a bolt above it

Just a couple of thoughts I had, based on both of the above things happen to me......

Grrrrrr.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
redcloud
Gone Wild

Agree with both posts. Piston in wrong or carb float setting/failed. You can get a pin hole in a float that is not seen but can flood a float to sink. If you take the carb apart see if you hear any liquid when you jiggle the floats.
Check reeds also.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:28 AM   #7
krhonn
Not Yet Wild

The oil injection is gone. This had taken place before i purchased the cart, so i'm not sure where to look for the banjo bolt... I'll take a look at the carb and also take a glance at the piston. Thank you all for the support so far.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #8
krhonn
Not Yet Wild

Also any thoughts on the crank seals being bad?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Krhonn,

The banjo bolt goes in the top of the intake manifold between the carb and the engine. If you see an empty hole in the top of your manifold, then you need to put a bolt in it. If you see a bolt in the top of the manifold then you should be OK.

The reed valves can get varnished and gummy over time. These are located where the four bolts of the intake manifold attach to the engine block. Easy enough to remove the four bolts, and pull out the reeds to observe their cleanliness. While out, a good soak down with carb cleaner is a good idea, and you can replace the gasket at the same time.

However, as your hand is getting wet with fuel, I am thinking it is not the crank seals, as you are getting fuel to the carb - it's just backing up somewhere. If everything is tight, the only places I can picture fuel getting out is through the banjo bolt hole, or through the carb overflow screw.

If the cart runs great in reverse, but crappy in forward, that is usually the easiest way to tell there is a crank seal problem. But bad crank seals = no fuel; seems to be the opposite of your problem.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
krhonn
Not Yet Wild

Thanks ScooterMcTavish.

Good and bad news, cart has finally gave in and ran with a choke to get it started. took the kids around the block a few times and headed for the garage. Put it in reverse and it really didnt want to start so i put it back in forward to turn around and cart only made it 10ft and stopped. Have nothing, nothing at all. Not even a clicking sound to get the starter going. Any suggestions? i'll try to find something on this sight in the meantime. I'm also still curious about the banjo bolt and the reeds. I'll look into that stuff also now that I've read your posts. Thanks again!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO