lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing
Hunting and Fishing Post all your hunting and fishing experiences here.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
curtis41
Not Yet Wild

Default Fishing with grandchildren.

Was fishing in my back pond with 2 of the grandchildren. The younger one caught a nice 4 lb 10 1/2 ounce largemouth bass . W e caught a few more, mostly about 3-4 pounds. Too cold for the bream so far here. Did stock the pond two years ago with 100 channel catfish. Without a net to keep them safe, bass had about 99 catfish to eat. My granddaughter caught an 8 inches early on the back pond, but we have not caught another channel catfish there in two years.

Most of my fishing was in Miami and the Keys. Mostly red snapper and mangrove snapper. We used a 2-mantle Coleman lantern to attract the shrimp, and my dad used a large throw net with lead sinkers around it. On a good night, we went home with 1-2 30-gallon washtubs full, less the ice. We also used to have contests to see who could open coconut with the fewest number of hits. My best efforts were 1-2 hits, on the larger end, on pavement, or better yet, the sidewalk. We ran an ice pick through 2 or 3 eyes of the coconut, then drain out and drink the coconut milk. We then cracked open the actual nut and slides it up and toasted it in the oven. Most of these coconuts did not make it into mother's coconut cake. :-). Showing my age, we used to listen until 11:00 P.m. to hear Moon Over Miami play on the radio, after some 110 decibel Elvis Presley records. Back then, my dad was foreman at Ted Williams, Inc. there out by the airport. They made $300 custom tuna rods and other great fishing tackle rods. Most of them had 10-12 coats of lacquer, hand and brush applied. My dad always told me the earth was about 75% or so covered with water. This, of course meant we were to fish 75% of the time. Great times back then and memorable.
curtis41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Fishing with grandchildren.

Sounds like good times! The kids will always remember a day fishing with granddad!
I remember fishing with my grandpa at a farm pond down the road from his house. Never caught anything big but it was always fun!
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:58 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Great story!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:18 AM   #4
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Thanks for sharing the story, and I like your dad’s priorities. My granddaughter turns 2 pretty soon. I hope to take her fishing before I get too old! My dilemma is we’re on opposite coasts. Well, He has His ways , thankfully!
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:25 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Fun stuff!!! Last year I took my 3 grand boys fishing. The two young-un's had more fun seeing a water snake, tossing sticks into the lake, and doing stuff young boys do. But my oldest caught his first fish....a 4" bluegill.....and had a smile on his face so wide I though his face would disappear!!

Great fun family time!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
rib33024

That's great, the kids will never forget it
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bass, bream, fishing, no catfish
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing