lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #21
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Building tractors from golf cart parts...

Awesome!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2020, 01:19 AM   #22
kbeitz
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
That is pretty neat. I’ve always wanted an electric riding mower- this gives me some ideas... how fast does it go?

Normal tractor speed...
kbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:43 AM   #23
TheREALducy
Not Yet Wild

Thing is awesome. Nice build [emoji869]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheREALducy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #24
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Nice work!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:58 AM   #25
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeitz View Post
This was my first build. No controller. Being a hydro I did not think I needed one.
Not knowing what I was doing I have gathered up another tractor and parts to build
project number two. I did not know at the time of my first build that running the motor full tilt would use high amps. I have been an electrician all my life and all the motors I worked around only used high amps only if put under a load. Also using a hydro tractor was probably not the best choice because they take more power than a standard. So my next build will be a standard tractor with a controller. I'm hoping to get a lot of help from this group with my next build. I'm just now learning about controllers and all the different pedals that go with. I'm going to use a forklift motor for my next build because it's next to impossible to find a golf cart motor with an extended shaft. Most have internal splines and no bearing motor mount.
Just a thought/suggestion. Have you thought of using the entire rear end of a golf cart? Even if it is too wide for what you are doing, seems to me cutting the axles down would be much simpler than what you are doing. Just my 2 cents.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #26
kbeitz
Getting Wild

Ok... Question time... I'm gathering parts to build my second tractor. This time I'm going to use a controller and a standard tranny. One of my questions is... can I test my junkyard controller and motor just using a 36 volt battery charger? I have a winter time shop set up in the basement of my home (it's warm there) and I don't have any batteries there. So everything now sat up on my work bench ready to be tested. Next question. The golf cart (36v) that I got my parts from was missing the motor. I found a 36v motor out of a forklift that I want to use. The question is can a motor be to large for a controller ? Can I burn out the controller if the motor is to large ? This is my mess on the bench right now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wire mess.JPG (165.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #27
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

You might be able to pick up some ideas with respect to motor and controller sizing from the attached Alltrax documents.

These documents and others can be found at: https://alltraxinc.com/documentation/

What is the size of tractor for the build you are planning?
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #28
kbeitz
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
You might be able to pick up some ideas with respect to motor and controller sizing from the attached Alltrax documents.

These documents and others can be found at: https://alltraxinc.com/documentation/

What is the size of tractor for the build you are planning?
Thanks... Read it all... Still it says nothing about if the size of the motor will damage a controller... I can't find any info about the size of my motor. I just know by looking at it that it's large. (forklift motor). I do know that it's 36V and that's all I know.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #29
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If by size you mean amperage draw then yes, the motor can pull too much amperage for the controller to manage. By manage I mean that everything in the drive system must be matched up (engineered) correctly. If the motor is drawing more amperage than the controller can comfortably pass it will get too hot and the heat will cause failure, then same holds true for the other components in the system. If you get out of balance then something will fail.
And generally, no a battery charger will not run the system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #30
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I see there are a number of articles on the internet about using forklift motors in electric vehicles ... in the few articles that I have reviewed, it is not always a straight forward process ... but as ScottyB indicates, matching up the right size equipment seems to be right approach.

Here is an interesting article about using a forklift motor in an EV and some reasons why this person did NOT use a forklift controller in their build.

https://forkenswift.com/used-forklif...ectric-car.htm
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric tractors
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!