lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Clone 3A and stock generator?

So I put in my clone 3A and hooked up the charge wire, also have the stock wired generator which is 15A yamah G9 iirc. 18A total is good right? Maybe....

So at night I notice the lights blink a little, I assume its the VR turning on/off but why is it doing that the lights are 55w x2. Only does it above about 2500 rpm when the gen charges the most. Did not do this with stock engine but I could see them get brighter above around 2K rpm.

Now I am thinking the 3A is charging and it is enough to turn the VR off (VR is solid state on mine) and then it goes on/off repeatedly. Now I do not have a 12v ignition drawing power like the stock engine had, so I have about no load on it during daytime other than charging battery which is 1yr old 650cc(?) boat battery.

So now I am thinking the 3A takes hp to run and if I don't need it....should take it off or put a switch on it? Pretty sure I can just unhook the wire to disable. With a switch I could use it if the need for more power should arise.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
fstg21
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Clone 3A and stock generator?

Just put it on a switch. Keep it as a backup for when, not if your starter gen fails.

Would get you home with minimal lighting like a couple of 3w leds.

I often ride 15 miles one way when i'm hunting. I have 2x3 amp coils mounted, but disconnected. The pull start is a great backup, but i'd need lights as well to get back safely.

Up to you, but no need to remove it. the power drain is minimal.
fstg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Clone 3A and stock generator?

I have a pull start, I have some small LED to go on it actually for DRLs we are supposed to have on the roads if you ride them. It must switch from 12 to 13.5v or something to cause the flicker. Yeah I will put a switch on and see what happens then, the gen will run everything anyway. Like I said I used to have an ignition powered and not have the 3A and it never flickered/blinked like that, but it would have had a load on it all the time.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, clone, generator, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps