lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
thesk8nmidget
Not Yet Wild

Default running a 36 volt cart on 12 volts

i just stumbled upon an old electric 36v cart with no batteries and i amd curious to know if you can simply run it off a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery?

my thoughts would it would be slow which is fine where im taking it has a 5mph limit anyways and i can charge it pretty often.

thanks for the help and i tried searching but found nothing.

-josh
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
buscopat
Gone Crazy

Club Car

Default Re: running a 36 volt cart on 12 volts

Depending on the cart, it probabley won't run off of 12v.
You can use 3 12v deep cycle batteries to make your 36v, but you won't have as long of a run time from the 12v as you would from 6 6v deep cycle batteries.
buscopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sometimes your voltage has to be a certain level before your controller will come on. And if you have a vglide or something like that. You might burn it up running on too low of a voltage.
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
thesk8nmidget
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the quick reply i have a little more info on the cart now it is a westinghouse 3 wheeler and 12 volts would not make the cart budge. but i did get to test the cart briefly with the charger and that alone pushed it so off to a battery exchange store to find 3 12 volts or 6 6 volts
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
GarageBuilt
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
i just stumbled upon an old electric 36v cart with no batteries and i amd curious to know if you can simply run it off a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery?

my thoughts would it would be slow which is fine where im taking it has a 5mph limit anyways and i can charge it pretty often.

thanks for the help and i tried searching but found nothing.

-josh
You can run your cart with 3 -12 volt batteries. But it is not recommended
A 12-volt deep cycle marine battery is not designed for repetitive charge & discharge. Although they will work, this type of cycling will shorten the battery life tremendously.
GarageBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
crunkinator
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I bought an old Cushman GC-300 cart with no batteries so I measured the battery frame and got 3 marine batteries from wally world for $65 ea that fit in one side perfectly. So far I've only ran it around the block a few times and chased stray dogs, cats and kids up and down the alley for awhile but I haven't had to charge the batts yet and I am surprised at it's speed. When I start seriously using it around the marina, I'll know if the three 12V'ers will run long enough between charges. If not, I'll get three more for the other side of the cart, hook those together for 36V, then connect the two banks (in parallel) to each other. That will give me 36V but double the available amps. I do not know how that setup will compare to six 6V but my budget required me going that route anyway.

good luck, bill
crunkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

It still won't run as long as 6 volt golf cart batts at 36 volts. You will also buy 12 volt marine 2-3 times more than 6 volt golf cart batts so they end up costing twice as much as a golf cart battery in the long run.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
crunkinator
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I'm sure you're correct roady89. I just bought what I could afford at the moment and if they can't cut the muster, I'll get 6-6v later and use these 3-12v on my sailboats.

Bill

"green foods are good for your health. Steam some frogs tonight"
Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
GarageBuilt
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunkinator View Post
I'm sure you're correct roady89. I just bought what I could afford at the moment and if they can't cut the muster, I'll get 6-6v later and use these 3-12v on my sailboats.

Bill

"green foods are good for your health. Steam some frogs tonight"
Cool Bill,

You have a 36-volt electric sailboat ?
GarageBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
crunkinator
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Talking Re: running a 36 volt cart on 12 volts

36V boat? Don't I wish!!! Unfortunately, my boat isn't big enough to need 24 or 36 volts. Mine has one for the engine, one for all the important stuff like nav lights, gauges and instruments and a third for cabin lights, radio, fish finder, etc.

Bill

“A single cell Amoeba is the lowest possible form of life…except for lawyers and politicians”

Tags
12 volts 36 volts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts