lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 89 clutch bore

I just purchased a 89 not running,200 bucks.What size is the bore on the clutch.Thinking about putting one of those 6.5 or 11hp chinese clones in it and wasn't sure what to do about clutch.Would like to keep the starter generator is the reason.I only wish I could keep the reverse
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 clutch bore

Keep in mind that the 2PG motor in there is rated at 9hp, and a full top end rebuild kit (which you can install in an afternoon) is under $200 including a new cylinder so no need to mess around having the old one bored, etc. The Clone 11hp motors actually (I believe) run at lower rpm's than the 2pg (which has a 5k redline) so if you look at all the horsing around, etc (plus the loss of reverse. top end speed, and pedal starting, etc) you may want to take another long hard thought at ressurecting the existing powerplant.

The 2PG is a great, reliable little motor - My '88 tops 20mph with 2 passengers, and that's with 22" tires - just a thought.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
rib33024

Well put there BCM
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It's an 89, and I was told it was a 3PG engine, sits so the crank is parallel to the rear axle and the starter generator mounts to the engine cradle. Thats why I asked about the clutch bore, wanted to reuse it and keep the EZgo starter. I can take the gov out of the clone and they will turn 5500 pretty reliably. Been racing the 6.5 clone for 3 years now in Gokarts. For about a 100 bucks more than the $125.00 engine I can push the HP to 10.5-11HP, another 100 and I can put an aluminum flywheel.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The facts are that the 3PG pushes 11 hp. If you put in a Chinese clone you gain absolutely nothing. If you put in a 6.5 hp clone the cart will just about pull off the line and stop dead at the slightest hill. Look at the Big Block thread, no one is putting in smaller engines. If you want a viable cart you need to be looking at 20 + hp. If you want a project then my advice would be to rebuild what you have got. If you don't like the result sell it and get the correct donor cart to do with what you want.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yep - sorry Dave, I forgot the 3PG actually started as a powerplant in late '88 (right?) ... 11hp still sounds like a lateral move to me, replete with the limitations I mentioned before. It's your cart though - sometimes doing the "best" thing isn't always the "Best" for you ;)
Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

ok, I thought I had read that the 3pg was only 6 hp. wouldn't be a wise move if I was looking for more power, But I don't need 20 HP when it will cost 2000-2500 for the engine swap.But since I'm limited to what I can spend,I will stick with what I have as it does the job i need it for for now. I don't need some wild over powered hunting buggy.Maybe look the engine over and see if there is a way to improve power and reliabilty. I have some karting background and a good friend who blue prints and builds 2 cycle kart engines. Maybe a simple blue print.Wonder what if it is possible to get a couple more 1000 rpm out of it without grenading. :)

Last edited by rokcrlr; 11-15-2010 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

unfortunately, the 3PG doesn't lend itself to a ton of easy mods, although you can goose a couple of HP out of it from what I've seen here on the forums by letting it breathe a bit better (I've seen guys rebuild the intakes to fit larger Mikuni carbs and of course, mod the exhaust to match up the flow a bit better) - the ignition can be refit to give you a hotter, cleaner spark (which I can tell you is a noticeable difference from experience) - do a search here for "HEI Mod" ... A shorter belt will increase your takeoff and climbing power without sacrificing too much top end speed, too.

As to reliability, once you have these PG motors running, they're pretty **** reliable - if you do a little more surfing, etc you'll find that the lions share of troubles people have are either related to the stock EZGO ignition or fuel delivery troubles (including plugged mufflers, another free, easy fix if you search "muffler BBQ") - the engines themselves (unless beaten to death or starved of oil due to people running the 20+ year old injector systems) are really only succeptible to crank seal troubles ...

As to the RPM issue, the powerband on these isn't so much at the top end (but the "danger zone" is) - I actually rebuilt the governor system on mine after installing a tach and realizing how easy it was to flirt with that 5k redline on hills, etc, I have it set back to 4600rpm and literally didn't even lose a full MPH on the top end doing it, so I would think that spending $ to get 6K would be another waste, as there's really not a lot or noticable difference speed-wise above around 4.2k.

Again, clean out your muffler (free) - do the HEI ignition mod with a high-output coil (under $50) - get a 3/4-7/8" shorter Dayco belt ($30-ish) - pull the oil injector and run 128:1 premix per the factory specs and you're going to have a rockin' 20-22mph machine that'll pull hills and carry quite well as well as being reliable AND has pedal start, reverse, etc like it should.

I've seen many 2pG and 3PG Marathon owners with 14mph carts do these simple tricks and end up laughing like maniacs (myself included) !!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So just for informational purposes, what is the bore on the clutch and is it straight or tapored? :)
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

don't know the size but it is tapered on 3pg.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO