lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Jblack
Getting Wild

Default Honda clone with stock clutch on a CC

So I finally sold a few things and have some money to upgrade the engine in the 90 CC cart. I'm looking at the 16hp single lung clone engine. Wish I could afford the B&S swap kit, but not in the cards. Anything has to be better than the tired flat top. So is anyone using the stock clutch with the CCP taper to straight shaft adapter??? I was hoping to use the stock clutch for now and add the torque spring to the driven clutch. Any advice?????
Jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Honda clone with stock clutch on a CC

I used the same engine in my Geep1 and was going to use a stock Yamaha clutch but would have had too many clearance issues. I ended up buying a new CV Tech clutch from CPP, works great!!

With the 16 hp you won't need a torque spring in the driven. The engine has lots of low end torque. This is the one I used > http://www.maxtool.com/index/DuroMax...es/pm16hpe.asp

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

$399 shipped is a good deal. $399 for starer & $349 to recoil. If you use your stock clutch can you use your stock starter/generator to start & charge your cart up? Just may have to make a bracket but seems the cheaper route. So any issues with the clone? Now the main question is if you started all over again would you have bought the same motor again or different one? Does it have a generator or alternator on it? These questions are for thenewguy
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
bob-n-holly
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 16hp clone in my 91cc and love it get the 200rpm spring for the drive clutch from cpp then you can shift the cart while running i couldnt get mine to idle low enuff
you will have all the torque youll need!
bob-n-holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

I only have about 15 hours on it but I'm happy with it so far. It's not as smooth as a v-twin, it's a thumper!! Lots of low end, I had to disconnect low low oil shutoff due to fast starts.

Yes it charges the battery and I use my lights a lot. With the current condition of my wallet, I would buy the same engine again unless I could find a sweet deal on a vanguard twin.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Jblack
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-n-holly View Post
I have a 16hp clone in my 91cc and love it get the 200rpm spring for the drive clutch from cpp then you can shift the cart while running i couldnt get mine to idle low enuff
you will have all the torque youll need!
Are you running the stock clutch or did you go aftermarket??
Old 04-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

If I do this swap ill use the stock clutch for now to save a lil money & maybe later upgrade to another
Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Jblack
Getting Wild

Well the engine is sitting in my garage!!! 16hp electric start clone. $365 out the door. I've got the old engine ready to be pulled. Just have to unbolt the axle/engine cradle and pull it out. Still have a couple questions. Any help would be great. I pretty excited to get this rolling. I will document and post pics along the way.

1. I've read that you don't need any of the old wiring. What about the wires that go to the transaxle? What is there purpose? I assume back-up buzzer (don't need) and starting lock out (again don't need). If that's the case then I can ditch them?

2. My cart has an electric pump on it. My plan was to use this and "T" the line back to the stock tank before the carb, to eliminate too much pressure. Will this work?

3. If I go with the stock clutch and tape adaptor. CPP says I may have to cut the shaft and tap deeper. Will this screw me in the future if I go to an aftermarket clutch?

4. Which aftermarket clutch works with the early model club cars??

5. I've heard that ther is a throttle conversion for these? Anyone have a link???

6. stock exhaust would be right under the seat. So I'm looking at a header tube, then fab into the motorcycle muffler I have. Should this work out ok??
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lemme see if I can answer any of these questions. I havent done a swap yet but have been reading up on it as I wanna do my 90 CC too. All you guys doing these swaps are making me hate that I havent done mine yet.

1 I think they ditch it all, thats what im gonna do. If its not doing anything for the cart its gonna be removed.
2 For that to work I think you would need a pressure regulator. I would use a factory stock fuel pump, its simpler and seems to work well as Ive read here.
3 Now thats a good question I havent thought of. Another issue for future upgrade. I would call cpp on that one
4 The one cpp sells works but cost $300 +, dont know about any comets as they are rare to come by
5 I need that link or one guy told me it was simple to figure out and make
6 Should work as thats what im gonna do, but not at first

Also where you get it for that price? pm me the place so ill get one and get my crap together
Old 05-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

jblack,

i am in the middle of my swap. i'm a little stalled because i have to many projects going on but here's some ideas....

1. check out the threads on clone motor throttles. i stole some ideas and they are working out pretty well.

2. for you fuel pump..... use the stock pulse pump. you can tap the clone valve cover and put a barb fitting in. cheap and easy.

3. are you putting this in a club car? my solution was to move the motor 2" forward and offset to the drivers side. i may still have to cut and tap the shaft, but only as little as possible. latter if i decide to i can still go aftermarket with a different clutch using a spacer if i have to. staying stock for now means $ in my pocket, and if i want to i can fab a bracket up for my cc starter/alternator and make 25 amps, instead of the three amps from the clone. to use the stock clutch will require a tapered shaft adpter, and a different belt. i'm getting my belt from a honda odyssee. 31/32" x42.25" (i think).

my unkle (the motorhead) had a low tech solution for cutting and tapping the shaft if it becomes neccesary:
a.find out how deep shaft is drilled and tapped.
b. cut some shaft off leaving enough of the drilled hole to act as a pilot hole so you can continue drilling a straight hole for your tap.
c. repeat process untill shaft is the length you want.

4. exaust. i'm going down to my autoparts store and buying a flange that is the same size as the chinese stock flange, then welding a new header to it and whatever muffler i decide on.

5. putting a hidden switch in cart that interupts ignition, so teenage son and friends don't blow up this cart. (he thought it was funny when my cart was dead.....he just blew up his yamaha blaster and isn't laughing now)

hope this helps. most of what i just put here was found on this site....it's just condensed. if you want i can post some pics later or give you some helpful links.

any fool can build a cart with the right parts and tools........it takes skill, knowledge, and attitude to cobble one together.

good luck ;)
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!