lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
infospecs
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 PDS losing power

I have a lifted 2004 PDS with 2005 batteries. I was mistakenly charging them through an extension cord at first and once I plugged directly into an outlet my performance did increase. However, I still think that unit is somewhat sluggish and if loaded with 4 adults will have a hard time going up even a small incline. I have checked my battery levels and cables and all looks good. It has the torque and speed chip installed. The person that I bought the cart from has made many changes to it, changed the gear ratio, lifted added back seat, etc. Also it seems that the power level on my built in gauge does drop rather quickly, I can get approx 2-3 hours of continuous driving. That is only an estimate though; i have it at out camp ground that does have many hills. Thanks in advance.
infospecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 PDS losing power

Welcome to bgw ........ there are many typical golf cart misconceptions.

Quote:
2004 PDS losing power

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a lifted 2004 PDS with 2005 batteries. I was mistakenly charging them through an extension cord at first and once I plugged directly into an outlet my performance did increase. However, I still think that unit is somewhat sluggish and if loaded with 4 adults will have a hard time going up even a small incline. I have checked my battery levels and cables and all looks good. It has the torque and speed chip installed. The person that I bought the cart from has made many changes to it, changed the gear ratio, lifted added back seat, etc. Also it seems that the power level on my built in gauge does drop rather quickly, I can get approx 2-3 hours of continuous driving. That is only an estimate though; i have it at out camp ground that does have many hills. .... end Quote

1. You have to remember what the cart was designed to do. Carry 2 men over mild terrain for a round of golf. 90 minutes run time max.
It sounds like all of your modifications are acting against this original design..... it now carries a 100# rear seat and 2 extra men. It has bigger tires which require more force to turn. It has taller gears which require more power to turn. and you are no longer on mild terrain but, lots of hills. And your batteries are 4 yrs old....

Get a hydrometer and test those batteries.... My guess is they are about done in.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
infospecs
Not Yet Wild

Well the riding season is almost over, except maybe for some sled pulling on the snow. I am still having power issues. I understand Scottyb's reasoning and it makes sense. I have a new symptom though, the controller (I am assuming it is the controller, it is where the pds chip plugs into) cover is getting very warm. When this happens the cart will basically shut down. By flipping the tow / run switch I can get the cart to run again for a minute or so. So my new question is, do I need new batteries or a new controller or motor?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You're going to have to replace the controller with one that doesn't go into thermal overload. Alltrax 400 is the best all around option for the money. We've set quite a few members up with that, as well as the much needed 4 gauge cable set, too...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
infospecs
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. Do I need a new motor also or just a controller? Does the controller have the same speed chips as the factory one?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by infospecs View Post
Thanks for the info. Do I need a new motor also or just a controller? Does the controller have the same speed chips as the factory one?
No - you will no longer need the chips. You will also eliminate the speed sensor (just won't hook it up).

You should also get a complete set of 4 gauge cables to aide in controlling heat and moving current...

Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
infospecs
Not Yet Wild

Do you sell it?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Do you sell it?
Yes - we have an online store. Click the main website in my signature link, then the first link on my website on the left.

I'll be happy to make suggestions - tell me how you use your cart...

Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
infospecs
Not Yet Wild

campground. Mild to medium hills. Usually 2 adults 2 kids sometimes four adults. I bought the cart this summer and it was already lifted with big tires. He also said something about modifying the gear ratio.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
campground. Mild to medium hills. Usually 2 adults 2 kids sometimes four adults. I bought the cart this summer and it was already lifted with big tires. He also said something about modifying the gear ratio.
Lets just hope he didn't put high speed gears in a lifted PDS. I'll bet he added a freedom chip and told you the gear ratio story to pump up the sale.

Your best price option is getting the Alltrax 400 amp and a 4 gauge cable set. It never hurst to add a heavier duty solenoid, but that can wait for later. We can pre program the controller for you before it is sent, if you want any different settings.

I'll send you a pm in a minute

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO