lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery Charging Question (How to keep from over-charging)

Got a question about charging batteries and I know it has been beat to death. What is the best way to take care of my new batteries? I've read different posts from charging it a few times a week, to charging it only after riding it for so long, to basically leave it on the charger if you are not on the cart. The reason I ask, is because I have also been told by my Father-In-Law (who works on them) that it is best to run it down till it is almost dead, and then re-charge it till full, then take off charger until they are almost dead again.

To me (and the other posts i've read), it seems like it is harder on a battery dis-charging it to almost nothing and then charging it all the way back up, and in turn shortening the overall battery life.

I asked my father-in-law about it, and he said the that is just to keep from "over-charging" them. He had 3 different customers this week that he had to fix because they always left theirs on the charger and it didn't shut off.

My question is, what is the best recommendation on charging these batteries? I have brand new ones, and drove them around the block a few times, then charged them till the charger cut off for the first time. I find my self driving (maybe 15 mins total) on like a Saturday, then pulling it into the garage, then charging it. Then I might go out Sunday for the same amount of time messing around the neighborhood and not plugging it in for a couple of days or even a week. I only ran it for a small amount of time, so if I do that, do I need to charge it as soon as I get back after every ride? Or is it ok to go a week or so if I am only doing small rides like that? What is the best way to get the max life out of my batteries? Should I charge on some sort of a schedule or something? Thanks
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO