lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
scoobiedoo2029
Not Yet Wild

Default taylor dunn controler problems? slow movment

i have built an electric go kart out of a taylor dunn sc1-59 similar to this:

i had everything working great but ive experienced a problem that the go kart is much much slower then it was to start with, to the point that it has become hard to climb small inclines when previously it would not even notice them. at first i thought i damaged the throttle and i did damage the plastic cam that actuated the switches inside the throttle was cracked but i have since repaired that with epoxy, and i am getting the specified 6.5 to 10+ volts as pin#2 on the controller for throttle input. so while my throttle may not be perfect it is functional.

i also took the back cover off the motor to inspect the brushes and all appears well inside the motor and the bearings seem fine. and all solenoids function normal it seems. i have 3 solenoids, the contactor and im guessing foreword and reverse. i have the same speed in foreword and reverse.

i was told by a golf cart rebuilder to jump the b- and m- on the controller to simulate full throttle and doing so resulted in the same slow speed as i get with the throttle hooked up, i know there is more information i could be posting but im unsure of what i might be leaving out. but id really appreciate some input as im looking at replacing the entire system motor/controller and all for much more then im willing to spend. a 5-10 mph go kart is rather worthless with it would do 25mph previously.
scoobiedoo2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: taylor dunn controler problems? slow movment

Did it ever go any faster on electric? Is that all the faster a pallet hauler
would go?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
scoobiedoo2029
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Did it ever go any faster on electric? Is that all the faster a pallet hauler
would go?
yes it was much faster when i first built the go kart. now its about 1/4 as fast as it was. its about as fast as the parts puller was now though but that had a chain an sprocket driving a ford 9inch differential and was geared really low. the motor is rated at about 3100 rpm at 2hp and previously would move my go kart at about 25mph with the gearing i have (10 tooth motor 60 tooth axle)

so some kind of damage has occurred rendering my electronics much slower then they where when running correctly.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
scoobiedoo2029
Not Yet Wild

oh i forgot to mention the most perplexing issue, when starting off if I press the throttle once ill head the solenoid click but i will not move at all, but if i lift my foot up and press the throttle again i will accelerate and move slow. as long as i dont let off the throttle for more then about 10 seconds the throttle works, but if i wait more then 10 seconds ill have to press and release and repress the throttle to go anywhere. (slowly)
Old 10-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
navyeoseabee
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

not sure if i can help but there is a great trouble shooting section in my manual near page 60-ish i am about to start there for the same reason you are having with speed super slow and hills that come to a crawl on.

http://taylordunnparts.com/manuals/C...SN151285UP.pdf

it sounds like we both have issues with the coil resistors that creat the correct voltage flow for the speed needed. -like i said i am not sure but i have my hill creeper for 30 days now and begining to learn more about the cart.

http://taylordunnparts.com/manuals/C...SN151285UP.pdf
navyeoseabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not at all familiar with your setup, but have you checked your batteries? I'd start there and eliminate any problem with them first! A bad battery, or low charge will really hurt the performance of any EV!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
scoobiedoo2029
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
I'm not at all familiar with your setup, but have you checked your batteries? I'd start there and eliminate any problem with them first! A bad battery, or low charge will really hurt the performance of any EV!

issue was a battery, it still held 12V but it wouldnt power anything. replacing that one battery fixed the issue instantly. i figured this out back in april.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm glad that's all it was, and I need to start looking at when the original thread was started!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts