lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 36v cart question

I have a 2003 TXT PDS 36v. I just installed and am "breaking in" new Trojan T105 batteries. When I remove it from the charger my dash voltmeter reads 43 volts. When I go out and drive it all seems fine under light load. If I am on a slight incline and I mash the pedal I can get the meter to read under 36 volts. Once I let back up it comes back to 41/42 range. I am new to all of this and wonder if this is normal? I know it has to drain something but I didn't know how much. All connections are tight and when I check nothing feels warm.
Thanks
Fegarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
nosaj2
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v cart question

You take your volt reading with no load to get an idea of your remaining battery level.

Don't worry about the voltage drop under a load. That is normal to some extent.
nosaj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:02 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Voltage drop under load is very critical information. If it exceeds the value of one battery be concerned you may have a weak battery or worse.
Your readings are artificially high due to coming fresh off the charger. Real reading would be taken 12-24 hours after the charge ended. This number should be close to 38.4 and 6v below that is 32v, that's where my eyebrow raises.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
nosaj2
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Voltage drop under load is very critical information. If it exceeds the value of one battery be concerned you may have a weak battery or worse.
Your readings are artificially high due to coming fresh off the charger. Real reading would be taken 12-24 hours after the charge ended. This number should be close to 38.4 and 6v below that is 32v, that's where my eyebrow raises.

That's good info Scotty. Thanks!
nosaj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:05 AM   #5
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. I will take it off after charging and let it set and then check it. I suppose I can use my multimeter and check each battery under load then as well. In the meantime I am saving my pennies for an Alltrax controller! :)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:43 AM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegarex View Post
I have a 2003 TXT PDS 36v. I just installed and am "breaking in" new Trojan T105 batteries. When I remove it from the charger my dash voltmeter reads 43 volts. When I go out and drive it all seems fine under light load. If I am on a slight incline and I mash the pedal I can get the meter to read under 36 volts. Once I let back up it comes back to 41/42 range. I am new to all of this and wonder if this is normal? I know it has to drain something but I didn't know how much. All connections are tight and when I check nothing feels warm.
Thanks

Normal
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

UPDATE and another question.
I feel kind of foolish but I guess I got a good excuse. When I bought the batteries the dealer ended up giving me 3 8 volt batteries! I never really checked that as I assume HE knew the difference.....
Now, my question.. The dealer is a 3 hour round trip to get the batteries replaced. Am I going to kill something leaving it with the 3 batteries for a while?
Old 07-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's not good for the 6v or 8v in the pack. I would not charge it that way. There is more going on then the obvious.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #9
hunt365
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I believe that 6 volt and 8 volt batteries are configured differently in the layout of the post. In researching converting from 6 to 8 volts you need longer cables in order to hook them up. Were they installed at the dealer? I would make the drive and get 6 new batteries.
hunt365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #10
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, it looks like my 4th will be without cart! :)
Yes, the posts are different and I just assumed it was a "newer style" and didn't check farther figuring the dealer knew better. They are the same size and all and according to the dealer they were all on the same pallet that came from Trojan so they didn't look either. Having them bring me new ones is going to be a waste of time. It's the first time I ever bought anything there. I suppose if I was a regular or my uncle was a Philadelphia lawyer I could get more done. Will just have to make another road trip....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO