lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Tnhunter
Not Yet Wild

Default Looking for opinion's on modifying !!

Hiyya everyone !! New to the site but have been lurking for sometime now, I'm wanting to get some opinion's thrown at me from the one's who have modified thier own cart or carts and preferably one's who have been aquainted with different makes and models.

I am wanting to build a hunting cart for the most part and have access to defferent makes of carts, Ezgo, Club and Yamaha. I have been looking at the Ezgo RXV "2008" but after reading the 14 pages of all the trouble they have had with solenoids and batteries I am not so sure about that route !! I do like the idea of the AC motor, my intentions are finding a cart 48 volt and doing the lift and tires now then when the batteries start needing to be replaced venture into upgrading the motor, batteries, cable's etc etc....I am not looking for speed but need the torque, the area I will mostly use this in is not hilly at all but has lots of mud and water with the occaisional obstruction to climb over. Anyhow if you all could post some pros and cons or "if I knew then what I know now" type situations at me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and happy carting :)
Tnhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Looking for opinion's on modifying !!

The 'KISS' rule still applies. Most guys are using the simple 'series' drive ezgo and club car with good success.
The AC drive is nice but just never was economical enough for the average guy and since it works with sepex motors it is more for street than off road in my opinion.
I'm sure others will have different opinions and results about what works for them.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Tnhunter
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty, you guys are more up to "par" on what works and what doesn't so I really appreciate all the info yall can throw my way ! Going to look at a 2002 club with new batteries wh en I get off work. Thanks again
Tnhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
mkernan
Getting Wild
Club Car

I converted my cc from 36 to 48, and put lift on it. Upgrades from Scotty. Controller, conversion, charger, and new motor. It can crawl up a 45 incline, or it can spin the tires all the way up the hill. It runs around 24mph.
mkernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
mdlott
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkernan View Post
I converted my cc from 36 to 48, and put lift on it. Upgrades from Scotty. Controller, conversion, charger, and new motor. It can crawl up a 45 incline, or it can spin the tires all the way up the hill. It runs around 24mph.
What motor and controller did you choose? How difficult was the install?
mdlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
mkernan
Getting Wild
Club Car

400 amp alltrax and a 9.5 horse 36/48 D&D. I basically just gave Scotty a call, told him what performance I wanted, and he set me up. I checked prices before I purchased and all prices were reasonable.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
mdlott
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
400 amp alltrax and a 9.5 horse 36/48 D&D. I basically just gave Scotty a call, told him what performance I wanted, and he set me up. I checked prices before I purchased and all prices were reasonable.
What kind of $$$ did you have to spend including the motor, conversion hardware, and controller/solenoid? Was the install fairly straightforward?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
mkernan
Getting Wild
Club Car

Motor $500
Controller $500
Charger $300
Solid state potentiometer conversion $200
Solenoid $100
FNR $100

All rough numbers. But total was about $1700. I ended up making my own wires but that still cost $100. Scotty sends out a good wiring diagram - make sure you get one on the solenoid also. I have been messing with rigging boats/trolling motors for years so it was very easy with the diagram.

Then I bought new batteries (8v x 6), lift, new tires, heavy duty rear springs. Now I suffer from a new disease that most of my fellow forum members share. :)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
mdlott
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Motor $500
Controller $500
Charger $300
Solid state potentiometer conversion $200
Solenoid $100
FNR $100

All rough numbers. But total was about $1700. I ended up making my own wires but that still cost $100. Scotty sends out a good wiring diagram - make sure you get one on the solenoid also. I have been messing with rigging boats/trolling motors for years so it was very easy with the diagram.

Then I bought new batteries (8v x 6), lift, new tires, heavy duty rear springs. Now I suffer from a new disease that most of my fellow forum members share. :)
I know, it's an affliction. I've got close to 2 grand in our "Free" cart right now.
It IS cheaper than hot rods and race cars, though. Been there, done that.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlott View Post
It IS cheaper than hot rods and race cars, though. Been there, done that.
...and the congregation said, amen. I've got a ridiculous amount of money in my cart but couldn't even get started on a car for the same amount.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car