lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Ewelder76
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine troubles - new FE350

Hello:
I'm new to posting to this forum but I've recently had extensive engine troubles that has had me stumped and I wondered if anyone could please help me solve. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I am rebuilding and refurbishing a year 2000 Club Car CarryAll II with pedal start. The original motor had a crack in it so we decided just to buy a new FE350 CW rotation Kawasaki motor for the cart. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get the new motor to run very well. The following lists what I did to refurbish this cart:

The motor was replaced with a brand new motor (with new carb, ignitor, etc.)
10W-30 oil added
The fuel pump was checked (lots of fuel flow out of the pump when cranking the motor)
New fuel filters were installed
New air filter installed
Old fuel drained, tank flushed, and refilled with premium 93 octane fuel
Starter generator rebuilt with new voltage regulator
New battery

The engine will crank and crank and crank and will not fire up quickly. After many minutes of cranking, we can sometimes get it to finally fire (it doesn't seem to respond at all to choking) and it will get up and run as it should. If the cart is stopped, it will restart as you would expect for normal operation as long as it hasn't been off more than about 10-15 seconds. If it is off longer,it will go back to being nearly impossible to start. After a few seconds of cranking, we can smell gasoline. Also, when the inlet tube to the carb is pulled and the motor cranked again, fuel is present (as we would expect).

Quick additional question, the fuel spits out of the carb with the inlet tube off. Is this normal or would it indicate a problem?

We also pulled the plug after cranking it over quite a while and it is dry (was not what we expected). It does have spark although it doesn't impress me with how much spark it shows. The plug is gapped around 0.035 inch.

Could someone please let me know what I am missing?? I previously recall these motors being very good about starting and running but this new one is not doing well. Myself and my colleagues aren't really bad mechanically but this one has us all stumped and it is now getting very frustrating. Thanks a bunch for any help given, it is very much appreciated.

Best regards.
Ewelder76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Engine troubles - new FE350

well if your plug is dry than......i know new carb but have you tried putting the old carb on to see...........it sounds like a carb issue from everything your saying but not being there......if you can i would swap out carbs if you can,t i would call where you got engine from and explain it to them.....is there any kind of warranty?.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

I talked with a buddy the other day about a very similar problem. but, i dont know what come of it. i do know that those motors are very similar to lawn mower engines, from what i found anyway.
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Ewelder76
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response, shadowman.

I do still have the old carb and it seems like a good idea to swap it out. But before I do that, the idea of a phone call to the original vendor is a very good suggestion. I'll have to dig up the sale records and do that.

The carb does have a pilot air screw which I've adjusted multiple times to figure out if that helps the situation and it hasn't helped yet that I can tell. I'm curious as to what setting the pilot air screw should be on as a default. If memory serves correctly, the setting out of the box was all the way clockwise but it hasn't helped the situation.

I'm also still puzzled at the fuel that spits out when cranking the motor with the inlet tube off and whether that is a problem or is normal.

Thanks again for the response, it is much appreciated!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Have you taken a compression test?
Is it overhead valves check cam timing?
Fill a pump oil can with gas and prime it with a squirt in each plug hole.
Good luck.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Ewelder76
Not Yet Wild

Thanks a bunch for the response.

The timing was a question I had but I haven't gotten too far into investigating it or how best to do it.

I can check the compression but I think it is very good as the starter hesitates to get the motor cranking (even with full battery) when the motor hits the compression stroke, so I figured it must have good compression (as I would hope a new motor would have). The potential for a timing issue worries me...

Thanks again for the response. I very much appreciate it.

Regards
Old 07-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

A couple of things first Ewelder... Welcome to BGW!

and THANK YOU for spelling out everything you've done to try to get your engine running properly! (it's rare around here!)

Now... on to it!

~The plug gap should be at about .029 (.027 to.031) NGK bpr5es or equiv.
~The pilot air screw on my FE350 was center from the factory (I just reset it "a tad" clockwise this last weekend)
~Check to make sure your air box cover is on correctly and has a tight seal,
and the intake tube is installed and not leaking. Kawi engines are REALLY "picky" when it come to the air and fuel mixture,
if the choke has little response, It kinda' leads me to believe you have an air leak!

As for the fuel coming out of the carb with the intake tube off... I have no clue!
(because I've never tried to run my engine without the intake tube off, again... because it doesn't run well!)

I hope you get it figured out!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Ewelder76
Not Yet Wild

Thank-you Lockman1. Your response is very helpful. I'll reset the pilot air screw to center and start checking closely for air leaks.

Also, is it possible the rev limiter is somehow interfering with things?

This entire ordeal has been maddening as I remember clearly how this cart ran previously when it was fairly new (and it ran well) and I can't get it that way now, even with a new motor!

Thanks again for all the replies.

Regards
Old 07-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I kind of doubt the the rev limiter will be the issue here! (anything is possible though)

With the engine cold, press and hold the choke while cranking the engine over,
you should see the air intake tube "collapse" a bit, that will pretty much show you don't have an air leak,

If it does collapse, and it's still not starting right away, the problem is elsewhere!
Then you might want to swap the carb (per shadowman) to see if by chance it may be an internal carb problem!

You'll get it working, and we're here to help!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Ewelder76
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the replies! You guys are tremendously helpful!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car