lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Mitchell Sansbury
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Angry Possible Electrical Short?

I have an 06 Club Car IQ. I bought about a month ago. I have noticed since the day that I bought it, they the charger would never cycle off but would instead continue to charge at about 5 amps. Yesterday, I decided to clean all of the battery terminals. I switched cart off and set parking brake. As I disconected the ground wire, I noticed an arc. So, apparently, I have a short somewhere, right? Cart still runs fine, headlights and tail light work good, no burning smell, no warm wires. Can someone tell me where and how to start tracking down this short?
Mitchell Sansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Possible Electrical Short?

I could just be the draw from the 48 to 12v converter... A battery charger that will not shut off is usually a sign of a bad battery? What is the date code on the NEG posts and what are the individual voltage readings taken atleast ..... 60 minutes after charging.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Mitchell Sansbury
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The batteries are 08 Trojan. I will have to get a meter to test the batteries.

Thanks, It's a start!
Old 10-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not likely a batt problem but it has happened... post individual readings to the 100th like 8.39v for each.... then check the condition of the cables they should be 08 also? ,,,and clean & tight
Old 10-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Mitchell Sansbury
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

battery readings ranged from 8.39 to 8.32. all cables in good shape, tight and clean.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Sansbury View Post
I have an 06 Club Car IQ. I bought about a month ago. I have noticed since the day that I bought it, they the charger would never cycle off but would instead continue to charge at about 5 amps. Yesterday, I decided to clean all of the battery terminals. I switched cart off and set parking brake. As I disconected the ground wire, I noticed an arc. So, apparently, I have a short somewhere, right? Cart still runs fine, headlights and tail light work good, no burning smell, no warm wires. Can someone tell me where and how to start tracking down this short?
Okay well we need to clarify some of these terms.... never turns off = how many hours of actual charging? AND what were the individual battery voltage readings before and 1 hour after the charge cycle..
Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
Mitchell Sansbury
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have left it on charge for 3 or days just to see if it would cycle off. When first plugged in, the charger maxes out at 15+ amps and then over about 6 or 7 hours, it will be down to about 5 amps. I checked the voltage earlier today and recorded them. I will check the voltage again tomorrow and compare the readings. I have the ground wire removed at the present time. I want to see if I have one or more batteries losing a lot of power over a period of time.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

A converter is a circuit that continually draws power unless switched, normally a resistor parrellel circuit amp drop on each resistor will be the same voltage will be different. Just a thought.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Charger not supposed to stay on for more than 16hours..... Sounds like a bad OBC ... especially if the batteries check out okay.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
Mitchell Sansbury
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here is something else that I discovered: The ground wire passes through a hole in a plastic cover below the back seat. The only way to remove it is to cut it. What is that all about? How would you go about replacing the ground wire?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car