lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
fcbclan
Not Yet Wild

Default 85 gas 2cycle crankshaft seal replacement difficulty

How difficult, and what is the procedure to replace crankshaft seals. I have 45 psi compression both directions and a strange compression leak sound.
fcbclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 gas 2cycle crankshaft seal replacement difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbclan View Post
How difficult, and what is the procedure to replace crankshaft seals. I have 45 psi compression both directions and a strange compression leak sound.
Well with 45psi of compression, you need to do an overhaul on the top end. Either a complete top end kit, or go with an oversized pistion and get the jug rebored.

And it being a 85, and if its never been serviced, then yea, it would be time to replace the crank seals.. Doing the clutch side seals is not a bad job, but the flywheel side can be very fun!.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
fcbclan
Not Yet Wild

can I remove the clutch by making my own tool I have a 85 EZGO and need to replace crank seals
fcbclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Re: 85 gas 2cycle crankshaft seal replacement difficulty

B U M P

Does anyone know the answer to FCBCLAN's question?

How difficult, and what is the procedure to replace crankshaft seals?

I'm about to do a top end rebuild and have been advised to replace the crank seals. Getting the clutch off is now a thing of the past. I have been told that getting the flywheel off in another story. Also, EZGO no longer has a removal tool. I made the clutch removal tool. Can I do the same for the flywheel so I can get to the other seal?

So, to repeat FCBCLAN's question:

What is the procedure to replace crank seals?

Thanks,

Clem
Workstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

The flywheel puller is just your standard 3 bolt puller.

However, depending if your cart has oil injection,... and if you want to still use your oil injection, you need to be careful. On the end of the crank (flywheel side) if your cart has oil injection the end of the crank will come to a spaded/notched end, that the oil pump shaft fits into.. If your flywheel is on tight, and you really got to bang the puller with an impact, you will spread those notches apart, and will have to be mixing your gas from then on.

The ezgo puller really just had a flat spade on the end of the threaded puller (where the centering point would of been) shaft that fited into the grove. If you have a spare puller end that you can modify, just cut both side of the point so it will fit inside.

Once you get your fan side cover off, it will all make sense.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, Monster...

That's exactly the information I was hoping to get.

I don't think I'm going to keep the oil pump but if I don't have to destroy it I won't.

Another project snuck into my engine rebuild (using a 2 drawer file cabinet as the base for my horizontal metal cutting bandsaw. I had to cut a 5/8 rod to use to pull the clutch with the saw, and ..., well you know how it goes) but I should get back to it in a few days and this information is just what I need.

Thanks.

Clem
Workstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO