lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
HCT
Not Yet Wild

Default 95 Par Car points conversion timing

Hello all, new here but have been referencing this forum during my build. Cannot seem to find this answer, so figured it was time to join and ask.

Through searching online, many search results come back to threads on this site. And it seem the answer to my question would be in the link "Points conversion thread" in the sticky in this sub group, "Ignition module information". But no matter how I try and get to that page, the thread just does not come up?

So, how do you time this 2 stroke that originally had the ignition module with points? What reference mark do I need to be looking at when the points open? Dial indicator on piston stroke? If so what are the numbers? I have not been able to find info on a procedure?

Some background. Got this POS cart for dirt cheap. Original intend was to buy a quad and mate the two together for a dual purpose rig for both my wife and I. For me, bombing around the woods. Her, taking it to horse shows, she is a horse trainer. Well found a time capsule old quad for cheap. To nice to rip apart, so after convincing wife to let me keep the quad as is, as we already have enough toys, I am doing a frame up resto on the cart. One of the mandates by her is that it needs to be really nice since I am adding two more engines to the fleet with this one.

Guy I bought it from did the points conversion. Then at some point the engine blew. Bought it with the top end of the engine apart. Didn't care as I was intending to replace it with a 300cc quad drive train. So with not going that route I rebuild it. But I am suspect that it burnt the piston up due to improper timing. That brings me back to the question before I fire this thing, how do I time it?

Here are pics of how it sits now. Rolling chassis complete, ready to fire. Everything blasted and repainted. All mechanical systems refurbished, previous owners hack fab fixed. Currently working on the fiberglass work. Then paint, seats, front / rear bumpers, roof ,windshield, radio, lights. All mandated by the wife.

Edit: well guess I cannot post pictures as a new member. Says I need to wait 7 days..........
HCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 95 Par Car points conversion timing

Those Columbia motors are very close to being clones of their earlier Harley Davidson predecessors. Heck, they even share many of the same parts. Timing these carts has been talked about a ton in the HD sub-section. You may want do some forum searches there. I think you will find all of the info you need.

As your cart has already been converted to points you may want to check out the HEI conversion sticky as well. Really, converting to points is the hardest part of that conversion and yours is already done.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar