lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
1CeMak3r
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Harley motor rebuild

I'm new on the forum. I have 2 of them, 75 and 76. Harleys. I have change the tranny seal and bearing. and the ignition bearings and seal. Assembled the crank sides, install the ignition flywheel, and I see that the ignition cam is opposite to Top Dead Center. What the Dickens!! What have happened? Maybe I tried to torque crankshaft nuts wrong?? 70 foot lbs?? The keyway is just fine, solid key, I'm lost. Thanks gentlemen.
1CeMak3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Harley motor rebuild

Sorry man, I know the Columbias like the back of my hand and, although I know the HDs ok, I dont know the level of detail you need. Did you at least get the service manual for that? The link to the manual is posted all over at this point.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
1CeMak3r
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Harley motor rebuild

Thanks Lochlin. I've been reading your expert posts for 6 years. Yes, I've had the manual for 10 years. The cart stopped last summer, just got weaker, then stopped. The tranny seal was shot. Thought it was the crankshaft with 3/16 th runout. Changed the seal,replace clutch, tried run it. The motor in reverse ran, but too much backfire and rough running. In forward it was kicking back on ignition timing. It ran with choke on, but ran horrible. So I took the motor out and tore it apart, ignition side the seal and inside bearing were shot. Changed 2 bearings and seal, changed the needle bearing on the other side crank case. Put it all together, no runout for the crankshaft, put it back in the cart. Primed fuel line, set the points at TDC at .022. Low and behold, it ran in forward, it ran in reverse, with a bit of choke, put it in forward and backfire, then it would not run. checked TDC and behold! the cam is opposite TDC. now
When a motor is rebuilt , how is it done to torque the crankshaft nuts??
1CeMak3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing, seals
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson