lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #1
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Club Car Carryall issue

Ok guys hear me out, and club car experts please chime in

A 1990s something carryall arrived last week because it was not running. I determined the battery was too weak so it was replaced, and the carb was also acting up. After spraying the carb out generously with cleaner the car ran fine, so I assumed it was a minor blockage. It was returned to me today because it stopped working again. This time I checked the spark plug and it is ok. When I spray starting fluid in the carb now it just starts up and runs for a split second, and dies. It does this consistently. A mechanic friend I know that works on carts too put an idea in my head that I would not have thought of.

He told me that some people want to save money and buy cheap gas thinking they get away with it, but the gas they buy is octane 84 or something and it has a higher alcohol content. He told me golf carts do not work with this type of gas and the jets in the carb would have to be changed to get it to work. So, I drained the carb bowl, flushed the gas from the fuel pump and bought new gas. I stuck the hose from the gas container in the new gas to see if it would run the car, and still no go. Has anyone heard of this "cheaper" gas he is talking about that apparently gas stations sell??

All in all, I confirmed compression is ok and spark is ok. The fuel pump they had was not good, was replaced, and inside one of the fuel filters I can see small black chunks. So, I'm thinking the carb on this car is badly blocked by those rubber chunks or whatever it is because nothing else is working.

please give me any input/advice on something I might be overlooking

thanks
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2016, 01:38 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Carryall issue

I don't think it is the cheap gas unless someone added some bad fuel. If cart was running fine on what was in the tank I don't think that fuel was the issue.

Gasoline with ethanol sours quickly and is hard on rubber/plastic components, but, usually only after sitting for a while.

At this point I would clean and inspect carb. But first, make sure linkage has not come loose somewhere.
As i'm sure you already know Yamahaguy, it could be a multitude of things. Could be a tiny hole/crack in fuel line vacuum not allowing pump to work correctly-even if new. Same with pickup tube etc. I have 2 of these and have worked on many DS gas at the golf course. (and still I don't consider myself an expert) There is a pin under a plate in the linkage that can work loose and make a Baptist Preacher cuss like a sailor until it falls all the way out and won't run at all, but you can't see it without removing the plate.

Tinker with it and let me know what happens. PS. Check the ignitor at the carb.

Also. Does this Carryall start with the key, or with the pedal like a regular cart?

Also, I have had them have fuel/spark and still run like crap or not at all, only to find out spark plug was defective. Same could be because of a weak/bad coil although I have never had to replace one on a Club Car.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:55 AM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The fuel thing is not an issue.

Remove the carburetor and all the jets and clean it-use compressed air and a jet cleaning tool. Carburetors and fuel pumps rarely if ever fail. A simple cleaning and it will be up and running
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Fuel, Air, Spark. Check one thing before you check anything else. Crank on it for a little bit pull the plug .. Is it wet? yes...check the spark next No... then go to the carb...check fuel flow to the carb by removing the supply line to carb and crank again fuel flow yes then clean the carb fuel flow NO...check the filters between carb and tank Clean yes... pull the fuel line coming from the pump to the carb crank again fuel coming from the pump yes..replace filters and lines Fuel NO replace the pump. Once your sure you have fuel and spark then go to the carb because you are sure that's where the problem is in my opinion. There are basic steps to any motor does not matter whether its gas or diesel big or small motors they all have the same basic requirements Fuel Air Spark
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

When you say "one of the fuel filters" has black chunks in it, is that the first one (between fuel tank & fuel pump) or second one (between fuel pump & carb)? those black chunks are usually rubber from the gasket in the fuel tank cap, the diaphragm in the fuel pump or the inside of the rubber fuel hoses coming apart. Where you are finding them will help track down the source. Either way they can clog the needle valve and / or jets in the carb. I've even seen chunks of the gas cap gasket plug off the pick up tube. Golf Cart Guy is right that a thorough cleaning should take care if it, but you also need to address the source of those rubber chunks.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks to all for your advice. I did not have much hope in the wrong fuel situation, I imagine it's not that common of a problem. Today I changed the carb and that was the issue I removed the bowl from the bad carb and sure enough there was debris in it that would definitely clog it up.

BTW to tighten the starter belt on the carryall all that is needed is a pry bar under the starter right?? It does not seem to have an adjustment nut other than the carriage bolt on the long arm that slides up or down.

Thanks again
Old 11-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Simple little carb issue.....

Yeah, ya gotta stick something under the starter to get the belt tight
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Another thing to check is the pick-up tube in the gas tank. Pull it out and make sure there isn't trash in the straw. This happens a lot. Trash will get sucked up into it and restrict the fuel. The cart will sit for a little while and the trash will settle back down to the bottom of the straw, but once you start running it, it'll get sucked up to the top and block the valve from letting any fuel pass through. Once you remove the assembly, pull the straw out of the valve and make sure both the valve and the straw are clean and free of trash.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #9
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Another thing to check is the pick-up tube in the gas tank. Pull it out and make sure there isn't trash in the straw. This happens a lot. Trash will get sucked up into it and restrict the fuel. The cart will sit for a little while and the trash will settle back down to the bottom of the straw, but once you start running it, it'll get sucked up to the top and block the valve from letting any fuel pass through. Once you remove the assembly, pull the straw out of the valve and make sure both the valve and the straw are clean and free of trash.
thanks for that tip, good info
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car