lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
Balthazar00
Getting Wild

Default Duro Desert X-Country Tires... 5 PSI Max???

Does anyone have experience with Duro Desert X-Country tires? http://www.durotire.com/tires/GOLFCARTLG/OFFROAD.aspx My wife's cart has these. She got 3 flat tires yesterday due to Bradford Pear thorns (those things are just nasty!) I had them plugged today and I was amazed when the shop told me that they only call for 5 PSI of air max! It actually states this right on the sidewall of the tire and I even looked up the specs on Duro's Web site. I have STI ATX Trail tires on my cart and the max pressure for those is 20 PSI. I'm just amazed that the Duros have such a low max PSI rating.

Anyone have any experience with these tires? To be truthful, we put 7 PSI in each tire. I checked the one that did not go flat and it had about 13 PSI. I guess we've been overfilling them all along!
Balthazar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Duro Desert X-Country Tires... 5 PSI Max???

Mt new swamp fox tires are 7 psi max. I run 7 psi in the front and around 10 psi in the back. I don't know what kind of problems it will cause. With almost 700 pounds of batteries at the rear it need the extra few psi.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:26 AM   #3
Balthazar00
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
Mt new swamp fox tires are 7 psi max. I run 7 psi in the front and around 10 psi in the back. I don't know what kind of problems it will cause. With almost 700 pounds of batteries at the rear it need the extra few psi.
Okay... So this low PSI rating is not uncommon. I'm just not used to it. I'm used to seeing between 15 - 20 PSI for ATV tires. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

The stock tires that came on my Honda call for +/- .5 psi of 4 psi.

On a cart application, a few extra psi won't hurt cause the cart is heavier than the quad the tires were intended for.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

While I dont have the exact same tire as you, I might be able to help with your question. I have 2-ply "LumberJack" tires which also call for only 5psi. Tires are stamped "Do not exceed 15psi when mounting" right on the side. However, I have run them at 20psi when I know Ill be traveling long distances just to reduce the rolling resistance. And although I haven't had any flat tire incidents yet, I am noticing a BUNCH of cracks forming on the tires now. Lesson learned, I have dropped them back down to 5psi, the ride is much plusher that way anyhow and its has a bigger footprint off-road.

I recently tried 4-ply tires for a weekend. The stiffer tires allowed lower rolling resistance and higher pressure (20psi) but ultimately I missed the softer ride and switched back.

I'm *guessing* that the higher your ply rating - the higher psi it will recommend. I really don't think you can run higher pressures just because your vehicle is heavier (heavy Golf Cart vs. lighter ATV). Ultimately you can get away higher than recommended pressures for a while, but it will catch up to you one way or another.

...Just some things to consider now and during your next tire purchase.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

My 7 psi swamp foxes are 6 ply.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

I think its the type and stiffness of the rubber used that determines the max pressure.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
Balthazar00
Getting Wild

The Duros are a 2-ply tire, fairly soft rubber compound, with a pretty smooth ride. I'm running 7 PSI in them right now. Even though I don't take it too much on pavement, it does seem to make a difference in the way the cart is riding on pavement at 7 PSI vs. the 13 PSI that was in them before. When they're at 7 PSI, the tire seems to have a little flatter profile with more of the side treads touching the ground.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts