lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Midwaymike
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Starter Generator

I am replacing the starter generator on my 1996 gas Club Car golf cart, the old one is clockwise rotation the replacement is counterclockwise, i was told to reverse the A-1 and A-2 post and everything will work fine, could someone advise me on this
Midwaymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Starter Generator

This is true.... however, a 1996 should have been counter clockwise. What color is the spring on the driven clutch? (the clutch on the transmission/differential)
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Midwaymike
Not Yet Wild

all i know is that the generator starter that was removed from my golf cart stipulates it is clockwise rotation (Club Car Part # 1018337-01) clockwise rotation... i purchased a starter generator with the same part no but it is
a counter clockwise unit and was told all i have to do is reverse the a-1 and 1-2 post.. my Club Car is a 1996 Model AG970655670 Gas
Midwaymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

AG9706-xxxxxx it's a 1997... Clockwise rotation!

It's to my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong David)
that factory Club Car S/G's are rotation specific! some/most aftermarket S/G's are reversible.
lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
AG9706-xxxxxx it's a 1997... Clockwise rotation!

It's to my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong David)
that factory Club Car S/G's are rotation specific! some/most aftermarket S/G's are reversible.
You're right. it's a 97. Clockwise..

As for the reversing... They've always been sold as rotation specific until recently. However, the only negative thing about reversing them was the fact that it would cause faster brush wear than it would if it was running the direction it was intended. Otherwise, it works the same. The new starter generators being sold today are black in color and are marketed as "Bi-Rotational"
Old 09-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
papa1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

[QUOTE=lockman1;711696]AG9706-xxxxxx it's a 1997... Clockwise rotation!

Could somebody please help me with the proper direction of rotation on an
AG9441-XXXXXX? This is as close as I got with the search feature. According to the post above, a '97 is clockwise. How about my '94?

I took the cart apart almost two years ago, then stopped working on it because I was diagnosed with cancer. Got the cancer whipped...at least for now...and am trying to get the cart going again. I can't get the cart started. Standing on the right side of the cart, the starter is turning the motor counter-clockwise. Is that the right direction for a '94 Club Car? It doesn't look like I remember it. Thanks in advance.

papa 1
papa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

94 is CCW
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
papa1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks David,

At least it's cranking in the right direction.

JW
papa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:37 PM   #9
adge
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey all - I know this is an old thread, but I've been struggling to get my cart back up and running for 2 years now. I have basically replaced every vital part in the engine compartment, except the engine itself and the transmission. My issue though is with the starter/generator.

I have a '94, which as I gather, is CCW rotation. I purchased an exact replacement part, but when I hook it up the same way as the previous starter, it rotates clockwise (and therefore no spark). However, when I hook up the wires so that it does rotate CCW, I essentially power the engine block, which then melts my governor cable, etc.

It's taken me 10 months + to realize that this is what's going on - which is great to finally know, but holy crap has it been frustrating. Swapping the A1/A2 posts is what makes it spin the right way, but is also what energizes the engine block. Is there anything I can do with this replacement starter to make it spin CCW, and not energize the engine??

Really appreciate the help guys!
adge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If your governor cable or throttle cable is melting its because you don't have a good ground from the engine to the frame. Where is the main ground wire from the engine attached? There should be a ground strap coming from the bolt next to the oil filler tube to the frame. There should also be a ground strap from the starter generator to the cross member above the engine. Make sure the connection points for the cables are clean and tight. If there is any corrosion on the frame near the ground points sand it down smooth and use a corrosion inhibitor or grease on those points after tightening them down.

Also make sure your starter generator is wired per the diagram here for correct rotation direction. It's usually best to mimic the wiring of the old S/G if possible.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car