lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #1
whelen2
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 help needed new Comet 94-c Duster clutch

I bought a non-running, heavily raised Yamaha G1 sometime back and I'm now starting to tweak it. I'ts raised with 28" Dirt Devil tires and stock engine. Needless to say it seems a little under powered with everything stock. Now here's what I did and plan to do, which is why I need a little advice. I have a Yamaha Enticer 250 top end and exhaust, white spring for secondary driven clutch and a new Comet 94-c Duster to replace the stock primary drive clutch.
When running with the stock setup, plus white secondary spring I get pretty good out of the hole take off, but doggy top end. Here's ,my big question.........What is a good starting point setting for the 94-c Comet clutch?
John
whelen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G1 help needed new Comet 94-c Duster clutch

Can you post a pic of your exhaust set up? What carb are you using? Use the stock G1 spring in the secondary. You'll want your primary to engage somewhere around 2500/2800 rpm. I'm thinking a little on the higher side because of the larger tires. The Enticers stock clutch had a 3200 rpm engagement.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Have fun with that engagement, it's awful with the Comet 94c style clutch. I had that exact same setup and never could get the engagement to be perfect. I never liked the 94c. I ended up putting the stock roller style clutch back in and drilling out the flyweights some. With that setup I could peel gravel/grass and hit a top speed of 38 mph. Keep in mind I had a Bravo 250 carb, thinking it was a Keihin 32mm.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=78131

That white spring is what's holding the top speed back. It won't allow the secondary clutch to shift out.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #4
whelen2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field6565 View Post
Can you post a pic of your exhaust set up? What carb are you using? Use the stock G1 spring in the secondary. You'll want your primary to engage somewhere around 2500/2800 rpm. I'm thinking a little on the higher side because of the larger tires. The Enticers stock clutch had a 3200 rpm engagement.
I have everything apart, but will post some pictures when I get it all back together after the 4th is over with. I think the engagement rpm of 3,000 should be close. I just picked up a tach so I can now tune things a little more accurately. John
Old 07-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
whelen2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Have fun with that engagement, it's awful with the Comet 94c style clutch. I had that exact same setup and never could get the engagement to be perfect. I never liked the 94c. I ended up putting the stock roller style clutch back in and drilling out the flyweights some. With that setup I could peel gravel/grass and hit a top speed of 38 mph. Keep in mind I had a Bravo 250 carb, thinking it was a Keihin 32mm.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=78131

That white spring is what's holding the top speed back. It won't allow the secondary clutch to shift out.
I read all 71 pages of your project and that's where I got the idea to do something similar. The white secondary spring was what was in the clutch when I got it and it is the only one I have. I'd like to drop down to at least 24" tires and wonder what spring combo would work best for the secondary driven clutch. Go back to the stock secondary Yamaha g1 spring?? I'd like to peel a little gravel and at least do 25 mph.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelen2 View Post
I read all 71 pages of your project and that's where I got the idea to do something similar. The white secondary spring was what was in the clutch when I got it and it is the only one I have. I'd like to drop down to at least 24" tires and wonder what spring combo would work best for the secondary driven clutch. Go back to the stock secondary Yamaha g1 spring?? I'd like to peel a little gravel and at least do 25 mph.
I'd do 24" tires, stock secondary spring, and make sure the carb is dialed in. If you aren't sure if the carb is right, a 30mm Mikuni carb (aka VM30) would do nicely on that engine. With that setup, provided the clutching is right, you should run pretty nicely.

As far as clutching goes, Don Plowman (Plowman's Carts) told me that the stock G1 roller style clutch, the one with the cross on the cover, was the best clutch for the 2 strokes. He told me that it really has a nice engagement and will operate smoothly. The downside to that clutch is that if you are trying to pull any kind of trailer/load it will bog the engine down because of the early engagement. But with one or two passengers that clutch will perform well with the Enticer setup, much smoother than a 94c.

Unfortunately I gave up on the 2 stroke engines in favor of low rpm torque with the 4 stroke engines. So my experimentation was short lived.

Field6565 also got his Enticer G1 to run pretty good. Not sure what setup he had on it, but I think he got his dialed in pretty good.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:36 AM   #7
whelen2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I'd do 24" tires, stock secondary spring, and make sure the carb is dialed in. If you aren't sure if the carb is right, a 30mm Mikuni carb (aka VM30) would do nicely on that engine. With that setup, provided the clutching is right, you should run pretty nicely.

As far as clutching goes, Don Plowman (Plowman's Carts) told me that the stock G1 roller style clutch, the one with the cross on the cover, was the best clutch for the 2 strokes. He told me that it really has a nice engagement and will operate smoothly. The downside to that clutch is that if you are trying to pull any kind of trailer/load it will bog the engine down because of the early engagement. But with one or two passengers that clutch will perform well with the Enticer setup, much smoother than a 94c.

Unfortunately I gave up on the 2 stroke engines in favor of low rpm torque with the 4 stroke engines. So my experimentation was short lived.

Field6565 also got his Enticer G1 to run pretty good. Not sure what setup he had on it, but I think he got his dialed in pretty good.
Thanks for that info on the roller clutch. I have the original Enticer carb, but have to rebuild it. I also have a like new Mikuni pumper carb I could try re-jetting for it. I actually thought about going 4-stroke, but this Enticer soup-up job was pretty cheap. Oh, and I have reverse this way. My other parts will be here Monday, but now I'll have to hunt down an original secondary clutch spring. I'll keep you posted after the parts come. John
Old 07-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I really liked how the Enticer setup ran. At the time I needed my cart to pull a mower, and it didn't like that at all.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #9
whelen2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I really liked how the Enticer setup ran. At the time I needed my cart to pull a mower, and it didn't like that at all.
My wife and I have "his and hers" Honda Rancher ATV's and they take care of the pulling department. The G1 is for the wife to drive to the lakes party store for beer. It has to be fast for a beer run you know. I'm a tea-total-er so speed is not that important for me. Ha-ha!
Old 07-05-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Haha "G1 Beer Patrol!" I like it!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha